High mileage owners please check in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any high mileage owners mind checking in with more major problems (if any) you might have run into in the post 75k up range

I thought it would help out others that are looking to buy/prepare for the future!

Besides oil changes and other normal checks...

Just got a 4th set of tires

Average 25k per set
1st- stock bfg KO
2nd- Nitto trail grapplers (personal favorite for my location with on/off-road use)
3rd- Mickey Thompson Baja claw (would not recommend at all)
Current- Nitto Terra grappler g2

I personally had a sensor go bad on my trans and had to do a full rebuild of my trans. @82k

Update-- on the transmission, it was fully rebuilt and when ford put it back the seal wasn't good between the transmission and the transfer case and it destroys my transfer case. Long story short I payed for it, didn't want to start a month long war with the dealer.

Bad power steering pump (audible whine references in other forums over the problem) @80k

Update-- on the steering- they replaced every part associated with power steering, I never really found out why but they did. No more noise though.

Had my brake pads fall out one time on the interstate (pretty horrific, destroyed the calipers and rotors) @~~30k

Update-- after this isolated incident no other notable issues.

Changed spark plugs @82k

Upcoming would be shocks. Rebuild or upgrade to come.

No other notable problems

Still love the truck and every time a problem comes up I've been quick to fix it

2013 screw 84k miles
both on and off road use

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Third Brake Light replaced long ago under warranty.

Post Warranty:
Rear Corner marker Light @60k ($90 Are you kidding!!!!!)
Power Steering Pump @ 90k
Finally Replacing Shocks w/ 3.0s@ 128k (Don't recommend pushing to hard on old blown out shocks. 12 inches of travel adds a whole new level of ohhh shit!!!! when upset at 75mph.)
IWE Vac Hose disintegrated sometime before 128k (standing by to replace locking rings and possibly hubs cause I'm not sure how long I was rolling with front hubs locked)

Needs new rear springs @ 128k
Trans still kicking but may need a new filter and fluid

Last edited:

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just turned over 70K. Need to replace brake pads...heard a squeal while backing down a hill.
The MTF screen blanked out on me for a few minutes last week; my son says it has happened to him a couple of times....related to his using his Iphone for music?.
Passenger side Blend door actuator went bad at about 68K; planning on replacing it after the PACKERS win the Super
bowl!
Otherwise no major issues, (well some self inflicted and deer inflicted blemishes), Just did the 14th oil/filter change. New tranny fluid/filter at 60K. New shoes when I get the front end aligned...40K on this set. Lastly the driver's seat started shifting forward when I put the key in the ignition...turns out my son's been playing games with me!
I am lucky so far, and still happy with my purchase 4 plus years later....
Eddie

Last edited:

pillowsoft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost to 100K Im at 98,700 right now.

Ive rebuilt all the shocks (well I paid someone to do it) but I took them off and on
Ive gone threw 3 power steering pumps
2 door latches
rear sliding glass doesn't work never cared to fix it, its intermediate too.
Full set of brakes, disks and pads.
9 oil changes, always synthetic
3 air filters
2 sets of tires

Nothing major, all reasonable considering how Ive driven this truck. I plan on supercharging it in the late spring...

Peattie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just turned 120k yesterday..

Oil pump in the bottom end went around around 30k
Rebuilt shocks
complete ac system went out
driver heated seat quit working
actuator doors in the dash need replacing
rear door lock
alternator went bad about 110k
minor rear axle leak

Need another rebuild here shortly, so probably replacing with 3.0's. Other than that, just basic maintenance

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
122k on mine.
-Replaced shocks with 3.0s around 90k.
-Replaced PS pump somewhere around 95k along with a new rack and pinion probably my fault tho.
-Had to replace vent door actuator.
-Had to replace a Burt spark plug wire.
-Broke vacuum lines for 4x4 myself and replace at 115k. They get very very brittle.
-I've gone excessive with oil change every 5k with tire rotate and air filter cleaning/re-oiling because I use the truck for work too and it idles quite a bit.
-Passenger side squeaks when no one is riding in it.
-Trans seems to be shifting hard.
-Have a clunk in the rear end when reversing but I think it's my break pads need replaced.
-Have a knock in the front end that I'm having a hard time believing it's from the shocks.
-Replaced the half axles around 115k. Going to have to do them again I think but I believe it's a faulty replacement part.
-on my third set of tires. One was the stock tires one 35 grabbers and one 37 grabber on now
-Been in two wrecks and the truck held up great I might add!

OP
OP
waddellw

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
122k on mine.
-Replaced shocks with 3.0s around 90k.
-Replaced PS pump somewhere around 95k along with a new rack and pinion probably my fault tho.
-Had to replace vent door actuator.
-Had to replace a Burt spark plug wire.
-Broke vacuum lines for 4x4 myself and replace at 115k. They get very very brittle.
-I've gone excessive with oil change every 5k with tire rotate and air filter cleaning/re-oiling because I use the truck for work too and it idles quite a bit.
-Passenger side squeaks when no one is riding in it.
-Trans seems to be shifting hard.
-Have a clunk in the rear end when reversing but I think it's my break pads need replaced.
-Have a knock in the front end that I'm having a hard time believing it's from the shocks.
-Replaced the half axles around 115k. Going to have to do them again I think but I believe it's a faulty replacement part.
-on my third set of tires. One was the stock tires one 35 grabbers and one 37 grabber on now
-Been in two wrecks and the truck held up great I might add!
Somebody took a shot at mine also, drove into my driver's side then darted before I could get a tag number.

On the transmission side of things mine hard shifted and I took it in and had to get a full rebuild. The fluid in mine overheated or something and went bad. If you haven't yet i would think about checking that fairly soon!

Ratpatator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody took a shot at mine also, drove into my driver's side then darted before I could get a tag number.

On the transmission side of things mine hard shifted and I took it in and had to get a full rebuild. The fluid in mine overheated or something and went bad. If you haven't yet i would think about checking that fairly soon!

That sucks hopefully he gets his soon.
Thanks I will check it out this weekend. What do you know about a fluid and filter change or is it too late

OP
OP
waddellw

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I will check it out this weekend. What do you know about a fluid and filter change or is it too late
I know that at 86k miles of highway/off-road/hard throttle that the fluid was toast. Mine started off doing a little jump from first to second and second to third. Soon after I got a wrench light for a bad sensor. Then I took it in and they said that it was bad news.

I've heard a tale of "if you haven't changed the fluid in the first 100k then don't" but I'm not a firm believer in doing nothing and hoping for the best.

Mine in particular had fluid coming out of a vent in the transmission.

I'd say check it if you can and look at getting it changed if you can!

---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 AM ----------

Ditto on the vacuum thing too although it's an interesting story, got my truck back from the transmission service and the dealer messed mine up and it ate up the 4x4. It's still not back yet.

Robb0h

Reaction score

Had the front brake pad fall out like the poster above. (At around 93k or so)

Can't give much more helpful insight as it already had almost 92k on it when I got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk