Help me identify this noise please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry...... had to re read this entire thing..... so we are still chasing Noise???? What is with the wrench when you go hard on it? That shouldn't be a a thing. This sounds to me like they might not be related?

OP
OP
V1ROTATE

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry...... had to re read this entire thing..... so we are still chasing Noise???? What is with the wrench when you go hard on it? That shouldn't be a a thing. This sounds to me like they might not be related?
Yes still chasing noise! Heard almost solely when inside the cab with doors closed. When the hood is open the injectors tend to drown it out.
The wrench is a blinking wrench and (i assumed) a misfire. sometimes the wrench goes away after it settles.
It went to ford and they said I had “water in my coil”. They cleaned it out and called it good. It did not fix either problem.
The misfire is most noticeable when it’s cold outside. I’ll feel the miss when it’s about 45 OAT but it won’t throw the code. I’ll try to get the code tonight when I leave for work since it will be cold enough. I just got forscan and didn’t have the ability to pull the code last time.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@V1ROTATE
You have pulled the belt? To rule out bearings? (noise) The wrench is the closed Evap or clogged possibly? The miss??? Is there one or not that is the question.???? A 12 year old truck with 25 k hasn't been used much = sitting that can be as hard as miles sometimes. water in a coil??????? I would replace that one for sure, was it #1 if so I would suspect The #1#4#8 with some moisture problems? I know you are a few hours away but if you get up this way. I am willing to try to help you with what ever I can.

OP
OP
V1ROTATE

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@V1ROTATE
You have pulled the belt? To rule out bearings? (noise) The wrench is the closed Evap or clogged possibly? The miss??? Is there one or not that is the question.???? A 12 year old truck with 25 k hasn't been used much = sitting that can be as hard as miles sometimes. water in a coil??????? I would replace that one for sure, was it #1 if so I would suspect The #1#4#8 with some moisture problems? I know you are a few hours away but if you get up this way. I am willing to try to help you with what ever I can.
Belt, idlers and tensioner have been replaced on your suggestion. No luck. The EVAP is certainly ticking. Hit it with the stethoscope and it’s certainly mimicking the noise I’m hearing. That being said, it may be a normal tick. I need another raptor to compare it to. However I don’t think my EVAP numbers from forscan are normal. So that may be the noise issue.
I would also have replaced all those suspect coils, but it’s frustrating because I paid for premiumcare and assumed since coils are covered, ford would accomplish that. #8 showed 10 misfires on a 15 minute drive today. So it appears 1,4,8 are the misfire suspects.

OP
OP
V1ROTATE

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Results from this morning

Attachments

• IMG_5118.png
    IMG_5118.png
    430.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5119.png
    IMG_5119.png
    386.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5120.png
    IMG_5120.png
    395.8 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
V1ROTATE

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bringing the truck in tomorrow to give the dealer one last chance to make it right. In the meantime I have new Denso coils on order to complete my plug,wire, coil inventory. My garage is full of Raptor parts and I don’t mind. My wife has a differing opinion.