Hauling dirtbike + ATV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

igxqrrl

Reaction score
I'm going to be headed to Moab/DV for a week or so and want to bring along both an ATV (Yamaha Grizzly, ~650 pounds) + dirt bike (KLR 650, ~400 pounds). It's about a 1000 mile drive.

The Grizzly will require leaving the tailgate open, so my plan was to get a motorcycle hitch carrier built for 2 bikes, and just use the outer tray.

Anybody done long drives loaded this way? I'll be over the payload capacity by probably 500+ pounds, but on the highway I doubt that matters. I'm mostly nervous about the hitch carrier. The KLR isn't heavy, but the double carrier is a long lever arm.

Suggestions for the double hitch? Versahaul seems to be high quality, but spendy. ~$650. There's an AMC-600 for $250, but some comments on Amazon imply that the build quality isn't great. Any comments on these or others? Any FRF supporting vendors selling something for this?

Thanks!

Evilmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you could borrow, rent or buy a trailer that will haul both would be the best. I've overloaded the backend of my Raptor once. Scared the shit out of me. I was also towing a trailer with four quads and one dirt bike. I'll never do it again!

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I'd also recommend the trailer. My buddy has a 2 bike rack and even with the bike on the outside rail the tailgate will not open.

OP
OP
I

igxqrrl

Reaction score
LOL OK thanks all, sounds like it is unanimous. I actually do have a trailer, it's just a bit bigger than I'd otherwise need for this trip. But better to have some extra space than end up in a bad situation.

@DynoDynge: I'll be driving down from Portland

Thanks!

Last edited: