Has anyone needed a new Clock Spring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

irtmks

Reaction score
A week or so ago, I noticed an AirBag fault light. I am still under warranty (the truck not me), so I made a Service appointment through the internet. The next day ALL steering wheel controls stopped operating (Except the actual Steering-Wheel. The horn was gone, cruise, mode, etc. etc. The turn signals worked. I assumed the Airbag light was from the steering wheel. I assumed it was the Clock Spring cartridge (Back in the day, I mean back in the day these clock springs used to fault quite a bit, but back in the day, not much control was on the steering wheels.) For many of you younger folks, try to imagine a time when a steering wheel was just.......a steeing wheel???? I know may be impossible to think of a time that you could not even check your pager from your steering wheel.

Anyway I stopped by the sealer to confirm my appointment, and the Service Manager opted to do immediate Service and gave me a Ford Edge loaner car. (As a side note, this was a great opportunity to try out my new OBD2 code reader Blue Driver on a vehicle other than a Raptor....worked great)

The problem was indeed the Clock Spring. I was surprised that it was in stock. The Service Manager told me that they are not considered a "high" fail item yet they fail enough to keep a few around. My Truck has just a bit over 30,000 miles. Anyone else have this issue?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did on my gen 1. but i was 224k miles in. mine only broke because i was...... em.... um.... well experimenting and the spool came undone and i couldnt put it back together correctly.