General shock question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

medic701

Reaction score
2010 Raptor 6.2 86K miles

I purchased the truck used for a good deal the truck looks good however I am getting a hop out of the front and rear end when going over bumps. I have replaced the front sway bar bushing cause they were worn out. everything else appears to be nice and tight.
the stock shocks dont appear to have been changed there dirty and scratched up looks like normal hard wear however there not leaking. I have not checked the pressure in them. I am thinking they are overdue for replacement.
How is the best way to check the shocks other then visible inspection. the truck feels tight when you push it up and down.
Shocks are expensive and I am looking at having them rebuilt.
any suggestions.

Sometimes it feels like my Dodge death wobble but its controllable

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your shocks are probably due for a rebuild. There doesn't necessarily need to be a leak, or even a low charge. All things wear out eventually, and the nice thing about these shocks is that you don't have to buy brand new. Where are you located?

OP
OP
M

medic701

Reaction score
Your shocks are probably due for a rebuild. There doesn't necessarily need to be a leak, or even a low charge. All things wear out eventually, and the nice thing about these shocks is that you don't have to buy brand new. Where are you located?

about 120 miles from Albuquerque New Mexico. I found some for 500 bucks for both rear they are a year old and never been off road and look like brand new. thought about getting those to prevent the truck from being down for too long. then maybe rebuilding my old ones and saling them. to make up the money. the fronts I would like to even replace the springs.

NE Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
about 120 miles from Albuquerque New Mexico. I found some for 500 bucks for both rear they are a year old and never been off road and look like brand new. thought about getting those to prevent the truck from being down for too long. then maybe rebuilding my old ones and saling them. to make up the money. the fronts I would like to even replace the springs.

$500 for fronts and rears is a steal. I'd jump on that and rebuild your current shocks.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2010 Raptor 6.2 86K miles

I purchased the truck used for a good deal the truck looks good however I am getting a hop out of the front and rear end when going over bumps. I have replaced the front sway bar bushing cause they were worn out. everything else appears to be nice and tight.
the stock shocks dont appear to have been changed there dirty and scratched up looks like normal hard wear however there not leaking. I have not checked the pressure in them. I am thinking they are overdue for replacement.
How is the best way to check the shocks other then visible inspection. the truck feels tight when you push it up and down.
Shocks are expensive and I am looking at having them rebuilt.
any suggestions.

Sometimes it feels like my Dodge death wobble but its controllable
Having a spare set overall would be a good idea. If you decide to rebuild yourself it will minimize downtime. At 86k I would say you are definitely due for a rebuild. The cost to get all the tools and parts needed and rebuilding yourself is by far the most cost effective way to have your shocks rebuilt. This is especially true if you will have to ship them somewhere for a rebuild.

Considering where you are I would assume there is a shop close enough to do it for you but the next time they need done you will have to repeat that cost. If you get all the tools and parts yourself then the next time they need done you are only out the cost of the seal kits.

If budget is not a concern then you can simply upgrade to 3.0 shocks or whatever you want.

Are you planning on keeping them long term? Will you keep the truck long term or be looking for something new in 20 or 30k miles? This would make a difference in how I handled it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

medic701

Reaction score
Having a spare set overall would be a good idea. If you decide to rebuild yourself it will minimize downtime. At 86k I would say you are definitely due for a rebuild. The cost to get all the tools and parts needed and rebuilding yourself is by far the most cost effective way to have your shocks rebuilt. This is especially true if you will have to ship them somewhere for a rebuild.

Considering where you are I would assume there is a shop close enough to do it for you but the next time they need done you will have to repeat that cost. If you get all the tools and parts yourself then the next time they need done you are only out the cost of the seal kits.

If budget is not a concern then you can simply upgrade to 3.0 shocks or whatever you want.

Are you planning on keeping them long term? Will you keep the truck long term or be looking for something new in 20 or 30k miles? This would make a difference in how I handled it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I dont plan on keeping it a real long time so I think rebuilding myself I am not going to worry about it. But I do like things to be right. i thought of just waiting and go with the 3.0 set up n the front but damn that gonna run some bucks. Im kind of new to the raptor thing. Ill post some pics. I picked this one up with all kinds or extras. like 20 inch wheels bumpers lights the works.
my second vehicle is a 2016 camaro SS. I have put 4K miles in 6 months. I use a company vehicle most of the time bu I want it right for my son

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just keep in mind the rear end of these trucks is always trying to keep up with the front end (the rear end is the weak link). You might consider rebuilding the shocks and upgrading the stock rear leaf springs before doing the 3.0's. Depends on what he is going to be doing with the truck, though. There are a lot of members that are still running the 2.5's and doing wild stuff with their trucks. Leaf springs, bump stops, things like that, really make a huge difference in the ride quality. Just don't add things like lift kits or rear blocks. That changes the truck for the worst. The stock 2.5 fronts are adjustable - 3 adjustment points - so use that for front lift. Raise the rear, if you want/need to, with different spring packages.

There is a lot of info in here and by using the 'Search' button on top of the page, you will find a ton of useful and tested solutions to most of your issues.

Good luck!!!