General consensus on 4HI Baja mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Just a note, in Baja mode you can select 2WD and remain in Baja mode.

If jumping which I've never done nor probably never will, I'd do it in 2wd to stay on the safe side.

OP
OP
shigman

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a note, in Baja mode you can select 2WD and remain in Baja mode.

If jumping which I've never done nor probably never will, I'd do it in 2wd to stay on the safe side.
Thanks yeah, I do tend to use Baja 2wd. I was just wondering what people around here tend to do in a mixed off road environment where you want the 4HI sometimes, but maybe not for most of it. It’s not exactly quick, reliable, or safe for the truck to be popping back and forth while on the gas. I wasn’t sure if my diff failure in 4HI was a common thing, or I just had bad luck one time.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of Offroad and Baja mode. They seem like they keep the RPM's way to high for extended periods of time. Is it just me? Maybe i'm doing something wrong? My go to is 4WD High, rear locked, Traction Control off.

NinjaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not do any jumps as of yet, but i am usually in baja 2wd for fun factor and if it is really sandy i go 4HI..

I'm not a huge fan of Offroad and Baja mode. They seem like they keep the RPM's way to high for extended periods of time. Is it just me? Maybe i'm doing something wrong? My go to is 4WD High, rear locked, Traction Control off.

For sure the RPM's stay in the high range in baja mode.

OP
OP
shigman

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baja mode also desensitizes the airbags and removes more driving aids than traction control alone. My goto is baja mode, advance trac off, 2WD manual. Takes care of the sustained reving when not desired.
I believe Baja mode also ramps up the brake line pressures too. Ive noticed this putting around after a run and locking up the seat belts, just tapping it. On the gen 2 anyway.