Gen 3 windshield rock chips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if this is just the luck of the draw? I went over 600K miles with my work vans and I never had a glass issue. Then I cracked 2 in a year. The first one I saw a decent size rock coming from the opposing traffic and it was all over. The second one was insane, 65 on a very widely divided 4 lane. No vehicles within 3/4 of a mile in either direction, NOBODY around. A rock flies up and cracks the windshield. A good friend that owns a glass shop said his bet was a stone was stuck in the tire and that spins out at speed and bounces up and breaks the windshield. He said he would see this several times a year. The Raptor tires really like to hold stones, I hear them banging off the side steps now and then after I've been in the dirt. I've been lucky for quite a few years now.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I wonder if this is just the luck of the draw? I went over 600K miles with my work vans and I never had a glass issue. Then I cracked 2 in a year. The first one I saw a decent size rock coming from the opposing traffic and it was all over. The second one was insane, 65 on a very widely divided 4 lane. No vehicles within 3/4 of a mile in either direction, NOBODY around. A rock flies up and cracks the windshield. A good friend that owns a glass shop said his bet was a stone was stuck in the tire and that spins out at speed and bounces up and breaks the windshield. He said he would see this several times a year. The Raptor tires really like to hold stones, I hear them banging off the side steps now and then after I've been in the dirt. I've been lucky for quite a few years now.
I earned 1 out of 2 of my new OEM windshields, fo’ sho’. Was crossing the causeway to south padre island and the *^%* jeep in front of me kicked up a rock that whacked the windshield HARD. we were only doing 35 - 40 tops. It wasn’t a terribly large rock but it was enough.

a looooooooooong time ago I was on the interstate and ended up behind a tractor trailer hauling a front loader. They hit a speed bump sized pavement ripple, kicked a softball sized rock off the front loader and bounced off the interstate in slow motion at me. We were doing probably 60 so whatever attempt I made at moving the wheel was ineffectual. It hit the windshield just left of the middle and shattered the inside sending shards of glass everywhere.

Good thing that was a dealership loaner.