Front diff cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Given how tight the clearance is with the front diff, I wouldn't expect to see an "added capacity" replacement that will work with our trucks.

Krab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As soon as they do one with a drain pan I am in.
This!

And removing the front diff cover isn't really that bad. Dropping the rear skid plate will make this job a lot easier. Waiting for someone to make an aftermarket cover will fill/drain plugs as well...

Dan06

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Given how tight the clearance is with the front diff, I wouldn't expect to see an "added capacity" replacement that will work with our trucks.

I looked awhile back and as I remember that was the issue. I'm pretty sure there was someone who made one with the correct bolt pattern though.

...Figured I'd ask to see if anything had changed.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had so much trouble breaking the seal on the rear differential cover that I didn't even try with the front differential. If and when an aftermarket front diff cover with both drain and fill holes becomes available, I'll buy it immediately. I don't expect it to have additional capacity, and if it doesn't come with a magnetic drain plug I know where to get one.

HEY FORD: It may be a significant fact that off-road enthusiasts who spend more for their trucks than our parents spent for their houses intend to actually service their vehicles in order to protect their investment. A drain plug on every principal element of the drive line is not high tech and is not expensive, and it would demonstrate that you understand your customer. Quit stupidly cutting corners, if you please.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's an idea. Isn't there a way to install a drain plug in a sheet metal pan? I seem to remember running across that years ago, but it's been too long to remember anything useful. Anybody?

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a measurement of the front diff cover, (example) cover taken off the truck, placed flat and the measurement at the highest point of the cover,hoping for 3 1/2 or less, If not im going to use the following, I have a set left over from my car building days, here's a link if anyone is interested and welds.

Weld Bungs, REAR DRAIN **** AND MAGNETIC PLUG - S&W Race Cars: USA race car chassis builder, racing components & high performance auto parts manufacturer - Since 1959

Weld Bungs, REAR FILLER CAP AND ****, STEEL WELD **** - S&W Race Cars: USA race car chassis builder, racing components & high performance auto parts manufacturer - Since 1959

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's an idea. Isn't there a way to install a drain plug in a sheet metal pan? I seem to remember running across that years ago, but it's been too long to remember anything useful. Anybody?

Yup . . Try this:

Transmission Drain Plug Kit

MOTORMITE 65128 or DORMAN 091-048

> Drill 1/2" hole in desired location. Remove all burrs
> Install drain plug