Fox 3.0!clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beadblaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed a set of fox 3.0 coil overs. They make a very noticeable clunk when hitting pothole. The bottom shock bolts are torqued to 425 ft lbs. Is this just a normal shock noise. Both shocks make this noise.

13Scott

Reaction score
It's from the steel bearings getting worn in. I have the same noise out of my 2.5 shocks and it's just from them moving a little bit. It's normal and nothing to worry about, I went to an FK teflon bearing to get rid of the squeaking and creaking noise they make.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i have the full 3.0 setup, no clunks, I do get the normal clicks - higher pitched that is the valves working, and after abusing my poor truck at Raptoberfest my tie rod inner joints are a bit worn and were making god awful noises, but seem to have calmed down.

no clunks though.

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The RPG valved fox 3.0's definitely clunk.
Mostly on droop, it's just the nature of the beast with an internal bypass shock, exaggerated when you valve the ride zone really soft. It goes away as you go faster as the pistons valving opens up a bit quicker. A flutter stack helps.

Reaction score

jcl48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Just installed my complete set of Fox 3.0 front and rear a week ago (I bought them new from Texas Motorworx). Fronts don't clunk, but both rears I can certainly hear a clunk sound when suspension is compressed and uncompressed. Today I asked my wife to give me hand compressing and uncompressing the rear of the truck while I crawl below the truck to check if something was loose or something; but nothing is loose. I torqued every nut and bolt according to specs and already recheck everything and everything is good. One thing I noticed and made me curious was that on the Right Rear Shock there was a slight (very minimal) sign of oil leakage where the reservoir meets the main chamber in the shock (SEE PICTURE BELOW), I also inspected the Left shock and nothing not a sign of any leak at all. Should I be worried about both the Leak and the Clunking sound? The clunking it's really weird and annoying; makes me think something is really loose underneath the truck bed, and also puts me ashamed in front of friends when they here the clunk, had two that already told me to get it to a shop, to check if something is loose.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417411320726.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417411320726.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 526