Ford Hires Former Apple VP to Oversee New Customer Experience Effort

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RogueClimber

Agent Orange
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ford Motor has named former Apple executive Peter Stern as president of a new business unit spearheading the automaker’s customer experience strategy across its software, hardware and online products.

The Dearborn, Mich.-based company said Stern will build and lead a team at the newly formed Ford Integrated Services unit, which will be tasked with bringing together hardware, software and services over three units: the combustion engine-focused Ford Blue, the electric Model E, and Ford Pro, the company’s commercial fleet offering.

Stern’s unit will also lead services marketing at the company, oversee the automaker’s Ford Next venture studio and manage some “out-of-vehicle” customer experiences, the company said. Ford classifies out-of-vehicle experiences as software and services that go beyond operating a vehicle—for instance, using a car’s cameras to recognize a bear while the driver is asleep when camping, a company spokesman said.

The news comes as more automakers reorganize to become technology service providers in the electric era.

“Everyone is so focused on the EV transformation,” Ford Chief Executive Jim Farley said on a call with reporters, “but I keep saying the biggest change in our industry is to go to a digital product and physical services.”

Car companies for decades peddled vehicles designed for smooth and powerful drives. Now they’re automating services such as breakdown recovery, designing dashboard displays that resemble the user interface on laptop screens and offering subscriptions to features such as heated seats.

Ford said Monday that it has more than 550,000 paying subscribers to its software and services, although Farley noted the company isn’t charging for heated seats or similar, once-standard items.

“Our industry is littered with bad choices about subscription services, and that is not the direction we’re going in,” he said.

Car companies at the same time are reconfiguring showrooms and bolstering their websites to sell more cars online.

Some have named customer or user experience leaders to handle the complexities of designing, marketing and managing multiple customer touchpoints outside of dealerships and auto shops. General Motors in early 2021 hired financial services company Mastercard’s Donald Chesnut as its chief experience officer, and Volkswagen later that year promoted Markus Kleimann to the same role.

Ferrari a few months later said it had inked a multiyear deal with LoveFrom, the design studio owned by former Apple design chief Jony Ive, as it readied for its own foray into electric vehicles.

Ford, meanwhile, hired Apple product design leader Doug Field as its chief advanced technology and embedded systems officer in September 2021. Now the company’s chief advanced product development and technology officer, Field will work alongside his fellow Apple alumni Stern, Stern said on the call with Farley.

Stern had been vice president of services at Apple, and oversaw Apple TV+, iCloud, Apple News+, Apple Books and Apple Arcade, as well as its ad and cloud services. He was previously executive vice president and chief product, people and strategy officer at cable company Time Warner Cable.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford classifies out-of-vehicle experiences as software and services that go beyond operating a vehicle—for instance, using a car’s cameras to recognize a bear while the driver is asleep when camping, a company spokesman said.

Does anyone other than me think that this means your vehicle watches it's surroundings at all times and relays the information to the mothership? To "improve the customer experience", of course. :rolleyes:

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
your smartphone already does. The technology exists in many vehicles already too.
Yup. Apple is widely known to do this. And I know for a fact that Android does it. And ... the microphone in your phone, and in your car, is very sensitive. Don't assume that because the phone is in another room that it can't pick up every word you say. Call me paranoid, but is it really paranoia if they really are out to get you?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I can see where this is headed.

within a few years, Ford will announce a new model which has 1 or 2 innovations, bold new graphics / colors, tightly bundled features that you MUST purchase to get the one feature you really want, and they will start driving these new models more publicly so that they will be “accidentally left out” to generate buzz.

next, you’ll have to go stand in line at the Ford store with 2500 of society’s effete and disaffected soy boys and girls. We are talking full on latte with soy milk sipping, man bun wearing, multiple nose piercing goofballs to secure one of the incredibly few allocations. Successful will immediately drive out and begin streaming their tik-tok video reviews.

Jayzuss. Ford as a company cannot be this stupid, can they? Success in the automotive industry by a big 3 should not be this hard. I know a few FRF would be willing to help right the ship and get the customer experience unf@cked for far, far less.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
If you hear "XYZ Company Hires Former Apple/Disney Exec To......" just WALK AWAY. Or run!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I mean... I suppose it could be worse. They could have hired an ex microsoft vp....

We’re off roading, doing Raptor things in our Raptors and suddenly the truck stops - gauges and infotainment screen do a blue screen of death...