Fix for stcok Raptor Running Boards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
lawdog

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PDP mudflap install. Youre welcome.

Long story short I made a cardboard template to get them where I wanted then drilled the holes in the PDP flaps with the template. I used the two OEM flare screws and gorilla double sided tape to hold them on, they are not going anywhere. I have beat the crap out of them in the sand, mud, and buried in the snow, still holding solid. Same process for the rears.

Outstanding...thank you. I was just a little surprised how bad this was for a purpose-built offroad truck. My last Tundra did nothing like this/did not require flaps to keep almost all stuff off the panels.

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outstanding...thank you. I was just a little surprised how bad this was for a purpose-built offroad truck. My last Tundra did nothing like this/did not require flaps to keep almost all stuff off the panels.

Hi Lawdog. Your previous Tundra probably wasn't running 35" tires either. Big tires throw up a lot of shit..Peace

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was just a little surprised how bad this was for a purpose-built offroad truck.

That there's funny! No wonder automakers can't ever please their customers and have to design their vehicles to deal with their lowest common denominators (buyers).

"Purpose-built offroad truck" Noted :crazy:

OP
OP
lawdog

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That there's funny! No wonder automakers can't ever please their customers and have to design their vehicles to deal with their lowest common denominators (buyers).

"Purpose-built offroad truck" Noted :crazy:

“Raptor was designed to be a no-compromise, off-road performance machine,” said Matt Tranter, Ford Performance engineering supervisor. “

Yes, so silly of me to expect a $68,000 off-road truck not to throw ridiculous amounts of sand and mud all over it while riding in a straight line through puddles on a farm, through/around fender flares and running boards expressly designed for the vehicle, where a $2 part would cure it entirely.

You can take your picayune semantics trolling and **** right off.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Hi Lawdog. Your previous Tundra probably wasn't running 35" tires either. Big tires throw up a lot of shit..Peace

It wasn't, but the core problem isn't the width of the tires...it is the gap between the flares and the running boards/the slots in the front of them. Look at the first picture in ZaneMaster's tutorial...shoots right through there way too easily, covering door handles, etc.

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean. But it looks so cool when a Raptor is covered in mud. Where do you have a farm? My wife's family has a big farm in Iowa, outside of Iowa City. Love running my Raptor through those fields (in the winter).

OP
OP
lawdog

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean. But it looks so cool when a Raptor is covered in mud. Where do you have a farm? My wife's family has a big farm in Iowa, outside of Iowa City. Love running my Raptor through those fields (in the winter).

It's in the lowcountry of SC, about 40 miles from Charleston. I don't mind it muddy when I had the fun of getting it muddy. I just was surprised at how much spray there was through that gap from just riding around through intermittent puddles at 10-20 mph...door/handles covered with gritty, sandy mud. Mudflap installation imminent.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
“Raptor was designed to be a no-compromise, off-road performance machine,” said Matt Tranter, Ford Performance engineering supervisor. “

Yes, so silly of me to expect a $68,000 off-road truck not to throw ridiculous amounts of sand and mud all over it while riding in a straight line through puddles on a farm, through/around fender flares and running boards expressly designed for the vehicle, where a $2 part would cure it entirely.

You can take your picayune semantics trolling and **** right off.

such-bitch-much-wow.jpg

20cd8z.jpg

Let's see your $2.00 part fix genius.

There's no way any factory vehicle is a "no compromise, off road performance machine" no matter what anyone from Ford or any other factory says.

The fact that you expect your $68,000 truck to not throw mud and sand on your truck while driving through puddles off road confirms what we already knew about you.

Stick to Starbucks 68k Raptor owner. And watch out for spilled coffee!

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

I don't mind a dirty truck when I really tried to get it dirty, but this seems like an oversight/design flaw by Ford in a pretty standard usage. Even keeping with its "desert racer" image, this allows a lot of sand to be shot up onto the paint.

Has anyone come up with a fix, like a plate to fit the front of the boards or better mud flaps?

Yes. It's both an oversight AND a flaw.

"Better mud flaps?" Better than what, the cardboard ones you made?

Go buy some ******* mudflaps already

5235699948_71d7cbfb60.jpg

OP
OP
lawdog

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
such-bitch-much-wow.jpg

20cd8z.jpg

Let's see your $2.00 part fix genius.

There's no way any factory vehicle is a "no compromise, off road performance machine" no matter what anyone from Ford or any other factory says.

The fact that you expect your $68,000 truck to not throw mud and sand on your truck while driving through puddles off road confirms what we already knew about you.

Stick to Starbucks 68k Raptor owner. And watch out for spilled coffee!

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 PM ----------

Yes. It's both an oversight AND a flaw.

"Better mud flaps?" Better than what, the cardboard ones you made?

Go buy some ******* mudflaps already

5235699948_71d7cbfb60.jpg

Are you ******* retarded? I didn't "make the mud flaps"...that someone else's template for drilling theirs.

The two dollar fix would be Ford simply extending the factory flares down about 2" to close the gap between them and the running boards, which is what this whole issue is about.

Go back to slurping on your bag of hot buttered ***** and **** of my thread.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
attachment.php

20hg53.jpg

20hgif.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 10.31.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 10.31.37 AM.png
    254.9 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
OP
OP
lawdog

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, look, a memefag. Must be super slow in the basement this afternoon while Mom's putting up the Christmas lights.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DehydratedSurfer