Engine problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Unless its in some other paperwork on the warranty neither does Jasper or Ford re-man show that the limited warranty could be voided if you are using a tuner or changed the PCM at anytime.

Seems like Ford can blame the tuner, deny you but not actually have to prove it regardless of the magnuson moss act then let you fight it if you have the time and money. Pretty ******, I hope nothing happens to my engine down the road as the 125k extended warranty seems worthless now....

OP
OP
Trevor*

Trevor*

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the truck to Dyno comp in Scottsdale. They will rebuild it if possible. They do not believe it can be a connecting rod with the symptoms. They think it must be in the top half of the motor, like a valve or a hole in the poston. They are scoping it now to see what they can find without taring it apart.

whoisbigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to be an A-hole, but before I bought my Raptor, I had diesels, and there is an awful lot of horsepower to be found in a diesel engine cheap. But, when you play, you pay, and if you break your engine, you can't expect ford to fix it. I'm sorry you broke your Raptor, but anyone telling you that it isn't fair that your warranty is no good is wrong. Ford stands behind their product pretty well until you modify it beyond their specs. You play, you pay.
Now, it's time to fix that motor. I'm betting that the idiots at the dealership have no clue what's wrong with that engine and if you look into it yourself, you will find that this is not a "blown" engine. If there is no window in the block, you can fix it.

D

Deleted member 12951

Not to be an A-hole, but before I bought my Raptor, I had diesels, and there is an awful lot of horsepower to be found in a diesel engine cheap. But, when you play, you pay, and if you break your engine, you can't expect ford to fix it. I'm sorry you broke your Raptor, but anyone telling you that it isn't fair that your warranty is no good is wrong. Ford stands behind their product pretty well until you modify it beyond their specs. You play, you pay.
Now, it's time to fix that motor. I'm betting that the idiots at the dealership have no clue what's wrong with that engine and if you look into it yourself, you will find that this is not a "blown" engine. If there is no window in the block, you can fix it.

Your an A-hole. LOL

But seriously, I think we all know you pay to play. But for a dealership to refuse to look at anything and immediately deny warranty because the PCM shows its changed at some time in its life is wrong in my opinion. Something could of have happened regardless and have no affect to that. At least they could say we will look into it but if we can prove the changing of the PCM did it then you need to pay because you played

D

Deleted member 12951

Doesn't it expressly say a tuner will void warranty?

Here is what I could find from the warranty guide:
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/14frdwa3e.pdf

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, or
components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company
• tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or
with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not
limited to exhaust and intake systems)
• the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part (other than
a certified emissions part) or any part (Ford or non-Ford) designed
for off-road use only installed after the vehicle leaves the control of
Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part
to fail. Examples include, but are not limited to lift kits, oversized
tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting
systems and performance-enhancing powertrain components or
software and performance ‘‘chips’’

Is a tuner, a "chip"?
Notice cellular phone is in there too. So that's like a dealership asking if you ever used a phone in your vehicle and if so, we are going to blame that for everything and deny any warranty claim because by golly, it shows that in the warranty guide.

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With any sort (within reason I guess) of engine failure it seems like it would be pretty easy to blame a tuner since it changes how the engine runs. I have to take Fords side on that one. But a cellular phone would have to be plugged into the computer somehow to cause any sort of failure which I'm not even sure is possible. I wouldn't worry about using a cell phone in a truck, we know and they know it's not grounds for warranty denial.

D

Deleted member 12951

With any sort (within reason I guess) of engine failure it seems like it would be pretty easy to blame a tuner since it changes how the engine runs. I have to take Fords side on that one. But a cellular phone would have to be plugged into the computer somehow to cause any sort of failure which I'm not even sure is possible. I wouldn't worry about using a cell phone in a truck, we know and they know it's not grounds for warranty denial.

I don't disagree with you at all but according to how stupid the warranty is written they can blame a cell phone regardless if they really do that or not.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score