Drivers well "rubbing" noise -

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for some guidance here on trouble shooting / finding an occasional rubbing noise that I have coming from my front drivers wheel well. My truck is on 37s and 3.0 live valves and only rubs slightly at full lock in reverse, on the passenger side - I have ruled actual rubbing out on this issue.

There is a noise that is wheel rotation based coming from my front drivers side wheel well. It is speed dependent to the extent that I can only hear it (occasionally) when I am below 10mph. When it happens, it sounds to be a rubber on plastic sound. I do not see any signs of visible rubbing anywhere in the wheel well. I have tightened all of my skid plate bolts and checked all suspension components. I have checked and ruled out IWE, purchased new check valve and solenoid. This is not dependent on 4x4 or 4x2, it is consistent across all drive modes.

I am only experiencing this intermittently every so often, but when it happens as mentioned it is at slow speed and is driving me crazy trying to trouble shoot. The only thing I can think of at this point is a potential balancing bag in my wheel that is audible at slow speed bouncing around inside. Any help much appreciated!

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What offset are your rims?
I put the 37’s from my Gen 3 on my Gen 2 just to see how they looked. With the factory offset rims I had rubbing at full lock on the back side of the Upper control arm

OP
OP
J

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What offset are your rims?
I put the 37’s from my Gen 3 on my Gen 2 just to see how they looked. With the factory offset rims I had rubbing at full lock on the back side of the Upper control arm
Not certain the offset honestly, but they are methods. Not sure of model number. The rubbing noise is intermittent, not at full lock in either direction of wheel turn or forward / reverse. This is a plastic / rubber noise that sounds to be from potentially an internal component. No idea what it could be, but am very open to suggestions on where to dig.

phill0027

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do close visual inspection with lighting, you should be able to see discoloration where the rubbing is.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mean I'd say possibly a wheel bearing but they really aren't intermittent. How many miles on the truck?

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Missed the "rubber/plastic" type noise. Most the time the tire rubs the inner fender liner behind the wheel. At 7/8 turn (full turn will make it go away most the time), under some suspension compression.