Door sill protection for $10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I did a cheap mod today to protect the entry of my doors on my 2012. I used vivid vinyl from Amazon or about $10, cut to fit and rounded the edges. I used a heat gun to apply but it may not be necessary. Here are the results. I’ll let ya know how it lasts but it seems promising.
cheersIMG_4761.jpeg

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey V1, that looks great and probably protects well. I see you have a little 'fishmouth', lifting, on the left edge? Next time you should try 3M #94 tape primer in tiny single use glass pen. It definitely improves the bond.

I'd have lightly pencil outlined where you plan to put the sticker, then snap the glass in the primer, and with the foam applicator tip, outline the edge of your pencil outline so that the edges are primed. Wait 5 min and apply, and the edges will stick really well. For better results, scuff the paint a little to give the adhesive some teeth to cling to.....

I may try your trick too! How many inch wide is the tape? Is that tape smooth bumpy or is it sharp bumpy like sandpaper or skateboard grip tape?

OP
OP
V1ROTATE

V1ROTATE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey V1, that looks great and probably protects well. I see you have a little 'fishmouth', lifting, on the left edge? Next time you should try 3M #94 tape primer in tiny single use glass pen. It definitely improves the bond.

I'd have lightly pencil outlined where you plan to put the sticker, then snap the glass in the primer, and with the foam applicator tip, outline the edge of your pencil outline so that the edges are primed. Wait 5 min and apply, and the edges will stick really well. For better results, scuff the paint a little to give the adhesive some teeth to cling to.....

I may try your trick too! How many inch wide is the tape? Is that tape smooth bumpy or is it sharp bumpy like sandpaper or skateboard grip tape?
Thanks for the tips! Indeed I took this photo before hitting it with the heat gun. After heating it up it bonded perfectly and has held up very well! The finish is rough, very similar to line X. Mine are about 5” wide and to be honest this application was just proof of concept and in no way perfect. I am impressed with the product but determined heat in required. Cheers