Could these work as driving lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daddycreswell

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Found these while trolling Amazon. I HATE my OEM halogen headlights, and I don't have the scratch to drop a grand on any right now. I see decent on low beam, could be better. But the high beams suck, so I was thinking of some type of driving lights. Would these work Amazon.com : Genssi LED Off Road Light 4X4 Tractor Work Light Waterproof 27W 12V 6000K (30 Degree Spot) : Job Site And Security Lighting : Home Improvement? I was thinking I would try to mount them in the middle of the lower bumper part of the grille. Someone has to know more about lights than I do. Also I know it's been beat to death, but can someone with aftermarket HID kit suggest some to me? Not the retro fit, like I said can afford those at this time. Thanks

Attachments

• 61pgO3u7r1L._SL1500_.jpg
    61pgO3u7r1L._SL1500_.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 49

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These lights are off road and not DOT approved so you would be subject to tickets running them as driving lights on the road.

Bingo. I have looked high and low and to date I have found NO auxiliary LED lighting product - not fog lights, not driving lights, not flood lights, not pencil beams - that are DOT approved for legal on-road use. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Last edited:

JJ f150harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If ur looking for cheaper led lights look in DDM.com. I have 1 set as my back up lights and 1 set on my ATV as aux lights. They were 44 a light and are bright for what u get plus they carry a lifetime warranty. And for plug and play hid kits the retrofit source seems to be the best. I have some that are comparable and they are bright as hell I get flashed all the time and then I just hi beam them back:)!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt you would be happy with them, even through the price is right (and for <$20 free shipping I would buy them anyway). Having said that, they are only 1200 lumens. My light bar is 21,000 lumens and it reaches out about 300 yards...illegal on the street? YES. For driving lights, I think I would want them to reach out at least 50-75 yards. For this you need a more focused beam (mine is 9 Degrees). 30 Degrees would be a great short distance off road light or backup light.....not something I would depend on seeing squat going 70 mph. For driving lights, I would probably go here...on a budget....

13 5" 72W CREE LED Work Light Bar Driving Off Road Truck ATV Jeep Boat W2 | eBay

CREE LEDS (excellent quality LED's), Spot beam and 3x lumens those work lights and more focused.

And, just to put things in perspective. I know these are made in China and you get what you pay for. If you can pay the US made delta or save up, go with Rigids, but NFW am I going to flame someone for saving a buck.

Get this bar and the $20 buckers and you are set in forward and reverse.

If your or any other reader's opinion differ from this, feel free to disagree. It's your money and I offer no warranty whatsoever.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If ur looking for cheaper led lights look in DDM.com. I have 1 set as my back up lights and 1 set on my ATV as aux lights. They were 44 a light and are bright for what u get plus they carry a lifetime warranty. And for plug and play hid kits the retrofit source seems to be the best. I have some that are comparable and they are bright as hell I get flashed all the time and then I just hi beam them back:)!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

So your being a ******** is what your saying? You have illegal lights, somebody flashes you to let you know they are too bright and your blinding them. Then you are a **** and decide to blind them even more in return? For what???

Can I just give a big **** YOU :flipthebird: from all the rest of us who are tired of being blinded by people that have illegal HID's. I can guarantee I would burn your retinas with my Rigid if you did that to me.