GEN 2 Cobb Stage 2 Tune While Under Warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can definetly get away with the tune and intake just fine but the IC is probably a different story. You have to remove the shutter system, relocate ACC if you have it, chuck the IC fans, and etc. So if you have any doubt about that I wouldn't. Now a stock location IC shouldn't honestly be a problem though.

Arctic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
General consensus from what I’ve seen is how comfortable is your local dealer with tunes. How much are they willing to go to bat for you if something comes up?

You can search these forums and others, but you’ll find that for every horror story of warranty voided you will also find one where they replaced entire engine under warranty with a tune. Very dealer dependent.

OP
OP
L

lordsimon

Reaction score
General consensus from what I’ve seen is how comfortable is your local dealer with tunes. How much are they willing to go to bat for you if something comes up?

You can search these forums and others, but you’ll find that for every horror story of warranty voided you will also find one where they replaced entire engine under warranty with a tune. Very dealer dependent.

Never bought a Ford in my life so this dealer is relatively new to me.

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not that it's a Ford thing, it's a dealership thing. Either they are cool with basic stuff or they aren't and that's just based on who you happen to deal with. As for the tuned truck, the dealership will never know unless they are specifically looking for it and you would need to be going in with an engine related issue in the 1st place. If that's the case you just put your stock map back on before going in. That's the nice thing about the Cobb AP as it makes switching maps very quick and easy.

OP
OP
L

lordsimon

Reaction score
It's not that it's a Ford thing, it's a dealership thing. Either they are cool with basic stuff or they aren't and that's just based on who you happen to deal with. As for the tuned truck, the dealership will never know unless they are specifically looking for it and you would need to be going in with an engine related issue in the 1st place. If that's the case you just put your stock map back on before going in. That's the nice thing about the Cobb AP as it makes switching maps very quick and easy.

So at the end of the day it isn't a big deal?

P4mnceBlue82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, i say it simply comes down to how happy are you with stock power and how its delivered.

I personally was not overwhelmed by it. I loved the handling and many of the truck's attributes but the newness wore off quick and found myself really not enjoying the truck like I anticipated due to the stock power delivery. Living in a mountainous area, I felt the truck was always searching for the right gear whether in sport or normal unless i did it manually. Which I didn't want to HAVE to do all the time.

Since my stage 2 tune from goose and TCM, i couldn't imagine driving the truck without it! It's EXACTLY what it needed! I almost never utilize the shift paddles anymore. The power delivery, shifting, and overall drivability of the truck is PERFECT IMO! For me it was definately worth rolling the warranty dice.

And honestly, if ur not overly hard on ur truck and do proper maintenance, a good tune can actually help the truck more than be a risk!

BTW, I used CVF direct replacement IC to avoid the alterations needed for cobb or other FMIC and have no complaints. Unless someone was REALLY looking. They would never know it wasn't the stock IC.

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So at the end of the day it isn't a big deal?
IMO it's not with the only exception being the IC in the Cobb stage 2 kit. Check out an installation video and you will see how much you have to modify your truck to get it in there. If a dealership wanted to throw a red flag at you for "modifying the engine" it would be hard to dispute it with that big honker behind the grill even if we all understand it doesn't effect anything negatively.

^^^ mentions a good option with the CVF since its stock location and maintains all the OE bits.

For replacement IC's it boils down to necessity. You NEED an IC like the Cobb unit if you plan on running a winch in the stock IC location (pretty much the only spot you could put one) or you're running an aftermarket front bumper that forces you to move the IC. If you do neither and just want an upgraded IC a good stock location one can get the job done no problem and leave you without as many worries about the warranty thing.

OP
OP
L

lordsimon

Reaction score
Honestly, i say it simply comes down to how happy are you with stock power and how its delivered.

I personally was not overwhelmed by it. I loved the handling and many of the truck's attributes but the newness wore off quick and found myself really not enjoying the truck like I anticipated due to the stock power delivery. Living in a mountainous area, I felt the truck was always searching for the right gear whether in sport or normal unless i did it manually. Which I didn't want to HAVE to do all the time.

Since my stage 2 tune from goose and TCM, i couldn't imagine driving the truck without it! It's EXACTLY what it needed! I almost never utilize the shift paddles anymore. The power delivery, shifting, and overall drivability of the truck is PERFECT IMO! For me it was definately worth rolling the warranty dice.

And honestly, if ur not overly hard on ur truck and do proper maintenance, a good tune can actually help the truck more than be a risk!

BTW, I used CVF direct replacement IC to avoid the alterations needed for cobb or other FMIC and have no complaints. Unless someone was REALLY looking. They would never know it wasn't the stock IC.

So if I can find a shop that can hide the Cobb IC I can be ok?

Ash Keshavarz

Reaction score
What my suggestion is to buy a Roush CAI (Because its considered a ford part) and a stock location aftermarket IC, i went with whipple. And then buy the cobb accessport. You will still see a tremendous increase in HP and Torq and will have a much easier time getting your local dealer to warranty issues. Also i would recommend removing the tune prior to taking it in for warranty work but that is obvious.