Clunk and jerk going from park to drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is the TSB for 2018 models within a specific build date range. It’s a simple PCM reflash.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
18-2274

2.7L/3.5L/5.0L Engine And 10R80 Transmission - Harsh/Bumpy Shift And/Or Engagement Concerns - Built On Or Before 15-May-2018

Model:
Ford
2018 F-150

Issue: Some 2018 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 2.7L, 3.5L or 5.0L engine and 10R80 automatic transmission and built on or before 15-May 2018 may exhibit harsh/bumpy upshift, downshift and/or engagement concerns.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/Service Part Warranty (SPW)/Special Service Part (SSP)/Extended Service Plan (ESP) coverage. Limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. NVLW/SPW/SSP/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2018 does that from time to time. If I'm not at a complete, and I mean COMPLETE stop with my foot on the brake when I put it in D, there's a good chance it'll do it. It's annoying and shouldn't happen IMO, but I've learned to adjust my driving style to [largely] avoid it.

If you are still rolling backward when shifting into drive, that is normal transmission behavior. It will engage harder due to additional pressure being applied to clutches to prevent clutch slip as the vehicle rolls in the opposite direction of the gear selection.

Harsh engagement can also occur if you start the truck up and immediately shift to drive while the engine is on high idle.