Clean those MAP sensors!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensors work differently from MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensors....any turbo/supercharged engine needs to know the manifold pressure, hence the MAP sensor.

The intake system would have a IAT (Inlet Air Temperature) to help with the ECU deciding air/fuel and timing, along with the MAF measuring how much air is going into the system (along with RPM and throttle position)...again completely different sensors..

The MAP isn't really prone to a debris issue like the MAF is, however the MAF has a fine wire element that doesn't like dust/dirt and really doesn't like an oil film building up on the wire (from oily air filters)..but the MAF doesn't usually act up with only a few thousand miles...

Hope that helped...

mikepipe597

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just rolled 18k miles and cleaned my MAP sensors for the first time. In the last 3-4k miles, my mpg had taken a noticeable hit even accounting for winter blend gas.

I just sprayed down all 3 MAP sensors (two on the air intake itself, one on the back of the engine block underneath the foam engine cover) yesterday and in the 75 mile drive since then, MPG is back to where it used to be (~19 on highway)!

Just a friendly maintenance reminder to folks.

This post would be great if someone would post some pictures of the three locations.

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensors work differently from MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensors....any turbo/supercharged engine needs to know the manifold pressure, hence the MAP sensor.

The intake system would have a IAT (Inlet Air Temperature) to help with the ECU deciding air/fuel and timing, along with the MAF measuring how much air is going into the system (along with RPM and throttle position)...again completely different sensors..

The MAP isn't really prone to a debris issue like the MAF is, however the MAF has a fine wire element that doesn't like dust/dirt and really doesn't like an oil film building up on the wire (from oily air filters)..but the MAF doesn't usually act up with only a few thousand miles...

Hope that helped...

1275421562946925893.jpg

:win:

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sensor in the manifold is a MAP, no question. 4 wires are power, ground, MAF signal, and intake air temp.

Sensor in air intake tube is called an TCIP, turbo charge inlet pressure sensor. It also has 4wires, power, ground, charge air temp sensor, and turbocharger pressure.

MAP tells pcm how much pressure is about to go into the engine, remember after the throttle plates there is a drop in pressure if the tbody is not fully open.

TCIP tells the pcm how much total turbo pressure is available to use, before the tbody restriction. Also tells pcm how well the cac is working.

I haven’t checked the Raptors, bot on later model sho,s and f150s, these two sensors are exactly the same. Same look, operation and part number, just different locations for different purposes.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

No, they are indeed MAP sensors. You guys are slowly learning the care and maintenance required on these. This 3.5 ecoboost platform has been around a while and many have learned how to properly maintain it... which in fact is vastly more than other engines out there.

Glad you are back MGD!

Happy Mother's Day to you!!!

I don't know if you actually are a mother, but I figured you might be because I'm sure you have a ******

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad you are back MGD!

Happy Mother's Day to you!!!

I don't know if you actually are a mother, but I figured you might be because I'm sure you have a ******

I don’t think he back. The post above yours resurrected a 4 month old thread.