Build your own VHF Radio Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CineSLR

Roaming Shutterbug
Reaction score
Trey,
Its the Yeasu FTM-350AR. LINK I just checked out the website and these are the bands it operates on. Hope I'm good because I just got shipping confirmation as I was typing this, haha.

Wideband Receive:
L-band: 0.5 MHz – 1.7 MHz (AM Broadcast band)
76 MHz – 108 MHz (FM Broadcast band)
108 MHz–250 MHz / 300–1000MHz
R-band: 108–250 MHz, 300 MHz–1000 MHz
(USA : Cellular Blocked)

I should be covered if you meant 136-172mhz right?

APRS is a low speed data transmission system that works through the radio. It allows text based transmission from radio to radio and allows for gps data to be transmitted/tracked. Google offers a list of stations to contact in your area. This way you can track a race vehicle while in motion at all times, track a gps enabled hand held etc etc...

Google Maps APRS

and more info on APRS...
Automatic Packet Reporting System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit:
Also, how dibilitating is not having a good ground plane? I'm not looking for crazy distance here, big enough for the track in tx is about as much range as I will need. If not I'll probably go with a magnet like you did.

Last edited:

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i have a Cobra 29 LTD ST hopefully that bad boy will work. my dad drove cross country for 20 years and he had it just sitting around so im gonna throw that in my raptor with a bed mounted antenna :peace:

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Damnit CineSLR! The radio nerd in me wants one of those damned radios now. I love radios that have tons and tons of options to play with.

Where did you pick it up from?

ruffstuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wideband Receive:
L-band: 0.5 MHz – 1.7 MHz (AM Broadcast band)
76 MHz – 108 MHz (FM Broadcast band)
108 MHz–250 MHz / 300–1000MHz
R-band: 108–250 MHz, 300 MHz–1000 MHz
(USA : Cellular Blocked)

I should be covered if you meant 136-172mhz right?
According to the manual, the radio will only transmit on -

144-146(148) MHz (Ham Band)
222-225 MHz (USA Version)
430-440(450) MHz (Ham Band)

Most race freqs are in the 150 MHz range. Its possible there are mods that can unlock additional transmit frequencies like on the Wouxun radios.

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
There are mods. Depending where you ordered from they may be able to do it for you. Call em up.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
^^Aye there are mods. Technically, they're illegal mods so I'm not sure any company will do it for ya. But its easy enough to do yourself...

Trey, can you post up the frequency list? I need to reprogram my radio, so I might as well get them in there now.

Cool writeup by the way!

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What about this radio?

Yaesu VX-8DR
View attachment 6568

RX
Frequency Note
0.5 - 1.8 MHz BC Band. AM Radio
1.8 - 30 MHz Shortwave Band.
30 - 78 MHz 6 Meter Ham
76 - 108 MHz FM Radio
108 - 137 MHz Air Band
137 - 174 MHz 144 MHz Ham. 2 Meter
174 - 222 MHz VHF-TV
222 - 225 MHz 222 MHz Ham
225 - 420 MHz General Band 1
420 - 470 MHz 440 MHz Ham. 70 cm.
470 - 800 MHz UHF-TV
800 - 999 MHz General Band 2 Cellular Blocked

TX
50 - 54 MHz
144 - 148 MHz
222 - 225 MHz USA version only
430 - 440 MHz

TX w/ mod
50 - 54 MHz
144 - 148 MHz
148 - 174 MHz MARS/CAP Mod only
222 - 225 MHz USA version only
430 - 440 MHz
440 - 470 MHz MARS/CAP Mod only. FRS/GMRS freq range

-Greg

Last edited:

Fozzy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it true, that if you get a "RACE" radio you can not talk to the big truck drivers on the freeway? If not what do you guys recommend for a radio that would do both? I have a Race Rhino that has the intercom installed and I was going to put in a Kenwood or Vertex and get a base station radio of the same brand. Would that Icom work with the intercom? It would be nice to have something that would work for my Rhino and a Raptor run. Thanks for your help or ideas.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LVDezDawg and I have been researching radios and found a high quality LEGAL*** NO HACKS REQUIRED unit that is certified by the FCC to be used on:

Race Frequencies VHF (150 to 160 Mhz)
AND
GMRS Frequencies UHF ("bubble pack" radios available at Wal Mart, Target, etc)
AND
2m VHF and 70cm UHF Ham Frequencies

Also has a "dual VFO" which means you can monitor... for example... a race frequency and a GMRS frequency at the same time!!

We need to do some range testing but from my house with a mag mount antenna I can hit a repeater on 2m (close to race frequencies) that's over 50 miles away from my house!

(Radio to radio range will likely be much less...)

Best part is the radio, programming, a mag mount antenna, and microphone can be bought for less than $200!!!

We're hoping to go out and do some testing this weekend... more news to follow... if they work as well as we expect we might be able to get a group buy set up for anyone interested?

***Legal radio... but the person transmitting needs to be licensed in order to transmit on most of these frequencies. Listening requires no license.

Ham= take a test $15 good for about 10 years

GMRS= no test, 5 years for $85 (very few people have GMRS licenses compared to the number of radios that have been sold... yes... almost all those FRS/GMRS radios sold in the bubble packs "technically" require a license to transmit on most of the channels... but would you ever get caught considering simple possession of the radio is not enough evidence? the FCC needs to catch you red-handed transmitting... )

Race = these are business frequencies that "technically" require a business license or "special event" permit from the FCC when used in the US with the exception of a few MURS frequencies where no license is required.

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
My radio didnt require a hack. Although not legal to TX on race(commercial) freqs I have never had a problem. If we run across someone legally using the channels we simply find another channel.

Race radios are one of those things you can over think to death. I only use mine in Baja and at races and I never think twice about the legality.

Greg. I have the Yaesu FT270R for a handheld and it's awesome. Ive never thought of dual band just because everyone I know runs VHF.