Best lighting for your money...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
So being a 2010 owner we have the halogen stock housings which with a decent hid kit does the job for a quick cheap fix... After saving my pennies I've finally got the funds to start getting some decent lights... My question to all of you is would I be better off upgrading to oem hids from the 2014's? Or go with let's say a light bar on bumper or roof mounted... I do use my truck as a DD and I go off road once every other month or so whenever there's a run up here in NorCal. I'm leaning more towards the oem hid setup just due to them getting much more use when driving around town and the aux lights only being used once in a while... I appreciate all comments and suggestions!

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Headlights. Like you said you would use your headlights more often and you can't use off road lights on main roads.
I used my 2010 stock lights for a year and couldn't believe the difference in light after I switched.
plus I personally think the 2010 stock lights are just not safe, you can't see shit with them.
Headlights!

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would do headlight retro first then maybe look into led light bars after. Since it's a DD the headlights would be more useful. If u have the stock bumper u can put a 20" in it for fairly cheap

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

wolfnnc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best money I have spent on lighting is getting retrofitted headlights, since I use them all the time.

I personally went with RaptorRetrofit, FX-R and was amazed at the different. But I also saw the RSIWorks headlights on Wilson's truck at Snoball....and they are very impressive as well.

I dont think you can go wrong w/ either option....

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
I run with a pair of VisionX LED's that have 4 10watt lenses each, and I tucked them inside the bumper cutout. I bought a VisionX dimmer switch which allows me to run with them on the road all the time.
Total investment - about $800.00
599640_10151999596596095_863088836_n.jpg

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in the market for new lights before the snoball. My plan was to do install some custom headlights, a new ADD bumper and the off road lights at the same time but, money said different so I went with just the bumper and off road lights I am so happy I went this way instead of headlights only.
The need for lots of light when running is off road in more important to me. The stock headlights are not the best but work plenty good for me to see without blinding others on the road. I am so afraid to spend the money on headlights and having ballasts or bulbs go out with no extras with me to replace. I guess I would get then but only if I had extra parts.
I went with Baja designs lights. 50in white spot up top, 30in white flood on top bumper, 20in spot amber in skid plate and 2 10in flood amber's for side lighting also a 10in amber flood on top in the rear. The lights on the hood are the HIDX's that were on sale in 2012 I am removing them cause there is no need now! ha ha ha
Wow it was totally awesome at snoball!!!

Lightsdone002_zpsdf8451b4.jpg

OP
OP
Danactive

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
Thank you for all the great advice! I'll do more research before making a final decision but based on my needs I'm thinking oem fx4 hids are going to be my best bet... Plus There's a sale on the whole bundle right now ;)

daddycreswell

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So being a 2010 owner we have the halogen stock housings which with a decent hid kit does the job for a quick cheap fix... After saving my pennies I've finally got the funds to start getting some decent lights... My question to all of you is would I be better off upgrading to oem hids from the 2014's? Or go with let's say a light bar on bumper or roof mounted... I do use my truck as a DD and I go off road once every other month or so whenever there's a run up here in NorCal. I'm leaning more towards the oem hid setup just due to them getting much more use when driving around town and the aux lights only being used once in a while... I appreciate all comments and suggestions!

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I am in the same boat as you were. I can't afford the retro or OEM HID. So which PnP HID kit did you go with so I can swap out these &*)#&^% halogen light. Thanks

OP
OP
Danactive

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack your thread, but I am in the same boat as you were. I can't afford the retro or OEM HID. So which PnP HID kit did you go with so I can swap out these &*)#&^% halogen light. Thanks

I went with a kit from TRS (the retrofit store) they're a little pricey but for a reason... They're 10x's better than eBay pnp kits and much better as far as materials go