Bed Tie-Down Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you own a Raptor you know that the tie-downs in the bed of the truck are wimpy at best. They're puny little loops (4 of them) located low on the sidewalls of the bed, two on each side. They're small loops and the two in the back closest to the tailgate are behind the Bed Extender if you have that making them difficult to use.

This thread will explore options in bed tie-down solutions including ways to use the existing loops as well as other alternatives.

Many pickup trucks have rail pockets which would permit the use of different tie-downs that go into these holes:

ss_ford_small.jpg

BR5001_a.jpg

2000_BULL_CLEAT_small.jpg

img13_small.jpg

The Raptor has an attractive plastic material that covers the top of the bed rails so these are (fortunately or unfortunately depending on if you like these things) not an option.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another option is the track tie down system with machined metal tracks and adjustable tie down points. These are typically installed on the sides of the bed rails but many of us have bed (tonneau) covers that use this area so this location may not be an option.

track_13.jpg

These tracks can be installed in other locations including the floor which is good as it enables you to tie down objects securely to the floor (like gas cans, motorcylces, tool boxes, etc.).

track_12.jpg

There are a variety of manufacturers out there offering these products including the vehicle manufacturers themselves (perhaps one of the pickup truck makers offers a slick system that we could use in our Ford trucks).

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's a product I am unfamiliar with called "Liner Lock" that's designed to work with plastic drop-in bed liners. I'm not sure many Raptor owners are considering a drop-in bed liner but this is a solution for those who are.

Gas_Can_small.jpg

4_pack_small.jpg

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I say the track type would be your best bet. This is my first truck and i'm not too knowledge on much of the tie down stuff. But those liner locks dont sell me. With the rough nature of the driving that will be conducted, i see them popping off.

And drop in liners are a horrible if you are constantly putting heavy things in and out of that bed. Friends of mine have had plastic drop-ins and the edges are always getting torn and worn up.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi Nacho, you're right, of course. I'm just putting ideas up there for consideration. I'm not a fan of drop-in plastic liners nor do I personally care for spray-in liners but that's because I don't plan on carrying dirty, greasy stuff or motorcycles, etc. (things that would make a spray-in liner more attractive to me). I like my Bedrug because it's attractive, functional, easy to clean and soft when I'm in the bed on my knees taking stuff out. We can explore other track options in this thread.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Dan and I discussed these in another thread:
traxfloormount.jpg

Here is a direct link to the manufacturer: http://www.coremg.com/products/coretrax.html It looks like these are narrow enough to mount in between the corrugations in the bottom of the bed (shown in the pic above) like Nissan did w/ Utili-Track. Judging from the pics, doesn't look to be quite as beefy as the Nissan system. Nissan had something similar offered from the factory (Utili-Track) mounted in the bottom of the bed (was stouter looking than what is shown above)

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had a tie-down idea that I'd like your feedback on...

I've been thinking about using industrial chain (could be stainless steel) by running two lengths along the sides of the truck bed. Each chain would be connected to the tie-down loops on each side. I'd make them fairly taught and then I could tie into the chain or the chain links with bungees giving me a lot more flexibility in regard to tie-down locations. I don't think noise would be an issue since I have the Bedrug.

yhst-9322599173745_2094_5334819

What do you think? Would this work?

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dan/Macgyver , that would actually be a great idea. You have all the links to mount things on (tons of configurations) and like you said, no noise since you have the bedrug. Can't believe i didn't think of this...its GENIUS! What are you going to use to connect it to the tie down? i'm thinking a small strong D-ring.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Funny thing is that I was just about to suggest chains running the length of the tie downs. It may even be a good idea to run the chain an form a box shape in the bed.

Another suggestion would be to use rope with eyes in it...something like polypro.

One more is to use a nylon ratchet-strap with holes burned through the center of it for tie-down points.

However I will probably go with a coated chain, for noise purposes, connected to the tie downs by shackles. But I will make four corners.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dan, great minds...

Instead of a chain, I've been playing with the idea of actual tie down / ratcheting straps. You can ratchet them down to size, you can loosen them to expand around stuff you want hugging the sidewall (gascan). You can span between either side with bungy cords or other straps...

The chain idea concerns me from a weight-over-the-long-haul issue, as well as a rubbing on the BedRug issue. And of course if you don't have a BedRug, you've just introduced a huge noise maker in your bed. The straps avoid both issues.

I've tried this in my Raptor and it seems to really work well. You just need to deal with all the extra strap material (not a big deal; either bundle it or tie it around itself, or cut off what you don't think you'll need) The only issue I see with straps is what the chain does best... there's no way to "hook" into one area and stay there. I haven't been smart enough to come up with stuff I can add to the strap to enable a way to hook (isnt there a way to tie a rope into a loop around another rope and have it stay? Maybe that would work?), except to rivet in holes, like eyelets. That should work ok since strength of the straps isn't going to be a concern in this application, but I haven't tried it yet to see if the resulting hole would be large enough to be useful. The other option is to use other ratcheting straps (which is what I'm doing).

Here's an example of the straps (at what seems to be a GREAT price at $13 for 4)

412qB95fFtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N82I2W/?tag=fordraptorforum-20