Balls joints or tie rods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knucklehead

Reaction score
New raptor owner
3500 kms on a 22
Feels alot less planted ( think sturdy ) than any other truck I've owned in the front end

I've read about clunks n pedals feeling loose n whatnot it's not that

But my steering feels loose, like ball joints or end links. Also have the clunk but I can tell that's from the rear and it's not effecting my steering etc

Are regular f150 ball joints the same? Are there aftermarket ones without requiring a full uca?

I do alot of off road driving but nothing extreme, just work in remote locations. Oilfield lease roads etc.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First, is the truck stock? Raptor suspension parts are unique; they’re not the same as a standard F-150. They drive differently than a normal pickup due to the off road suspension. It’s extremely unlikely that it has a loose ball joint at that low mileage, and it would have to be completely failed to affect steering input. Stabilizer end links will also not affect steering free play.

OP
OP
K

knucklehead

Reaction score
First, is the truck stock? Raptor suspension parts are unique; they’re not the same as a standard F-150. They drive differently than a normal pickup due to the off road suspension. It’s extremely unlikely that it has a loose ball joint at that low mileage, and it would have to be completely failed to affect steering input. Stabilizer end links will also not affect steering free play.
Thanks for the reply
Truck is 100 percent stock

I've driven a 1st gen many times( since I've purchased mine as well) which also felt much more sturdy.

This feels like a clapped out Chevy Beretta
And it's rather disheartening/ frustrating.
Coming from a 22 ram 1500 limited on a 4 inch lift that rode better on 22 inch wheels and 35 inch 12 ply rubber.
I expected a much smoother ride

There's not alot of free play, but it's there. And it def sounds like sloppy ball joints. Like every bump is not being absorbed but more like they're bouncing- in any setting
I figured they wouldn't be the same part, just when I look all I find is ball joints for regular f150 or balljoints part of a entire uca assembly

riv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New raptor owner
3500 kms on a 22
Feels alot less planted ( think sturdy ) than any other truck I've owned in the front end

I've read about clunks n pedals feeling loose n whatnot it's not that

But my steering feels loose, like ball joints or end links. Also have the clunk but I can tell that's from the rear and it's not effecting my steering etc

Are regular f150 ball joints the same? Are there aftermarket ones without requiring a full uca?

I do alot of off road driving but nothing extreme, just work in remote locations. Oilfield lease roads etc.
does it always feel loose or just when going over bumps in the road?

TX-RAP70R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when driving in normal suspension mode, going speeds between 20-35ish over bumps sometimes feel like something is loose but driving in sport suspension mode, can't really notice it.

OP
OP
K

knucklehead

Reaction score
when driving in normal suspension mode, going speeds between 20-35ish over bumps sometimes feel like something is loose but driving in sport suspension mode, can't really notice it.
In all modes it feels sloppy / sounds like if a bobble head was in a jar hitting its head on the jar multiple times with each bump

weird way to describe it. But it paints a picture lol
does it always feel loose or just when going over bumps in the road?
Mostly bumps that I've noticed
On or off road.

riv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gotcha you have the fox shock defect. I had it on 2 gen 3s. I never felt it in the pedals either. there is a tsb and hopefully your dealer will work with you. I would start with replacing the front 2 struts.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad someone is talking about this.

At 136k miles, I am considering replacing all suspension parts.