BakFlip G2 $749 Free Shipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
Hey Iceman in that case, let me show you a little snippet of the PMs between AutoWerks and I today

Ironman had already deleted 2 of your posts per your 1st request, but based on your words above and autowerks' reply to my PM, I just undeleted them.

I gotta say, I respect autowerks' approach to this situation. That is the right way to do business.

...we want people to know they can speak their minds openly and honestly throughout all FRF forums, and we want vendors who will stand by their products, and we want everyone reading to feel that they get the truth in threads like this. Customer feedback isn't positive 100% of the time..... That's true in all businesses. We here at FRF believe that everyone here has a right to convey their experiences here openly without concern of Mods choosing sides or defending an opinion or post just because it's attached to an FRF income source. We respect the people who sign up here more than that.

Ice, I undeleted your posts because people here have a right to read them as long as both you and autowerks (the parties involved) believe that to be the case.

Everyone is on the same page and there is no love lost. Just the way things should be. :cheers:

I'm glad that we're all on the same page and I appreciate your handling of the situation. I just wanted to suggest deleting the posts since it was all a simple misunderstanding.

Now, who's next in line for one of these killer tonneaus? I can't wait to get mine. There are already a couple buddies that are interested just from describing it to them. The cool thing is that these will work for any 5.5' bed F-150 and not just the Raptor, as long as they don't have the track system.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So back to the product...since I've seen it asked more than once in more than one thread, myself included...the differences between the F1 and HD...and no one else is tackling the product info request.... All this from the Bak Industries website:

The BakFlip F1 Tonneau Cover is the flagship tonneau cover in BAK Industries line-up of hard folding tonneau covers.

The bakFlip F1 has an impact resistant top surface made from FRP (Fiberglass reinforced polymer). It can handle the most severe temperatures (both hot and cold) and will never fade, tarnish, crack or deteriorate over time. It will handle a hammer or hail falling on it as if it were rain drops.

The BakFlip F1 sports an aluminum sub structure for added rigidity, yet remains lighter and stronger than it's sisters, the BakFlip G1 and HD which are all aluminum tonneau covers.

The BakFlip F1 stays cooler to the touch than an aluminum tonneau cover and will not scratch or scuff easily either. It is UV protected and backed by the best warranty in the business.

The HD has a powder coat finish. The F1 has something called Fiberglass Hair Cell finish. Both are 5/8" thick. The HD weighs 60 lbs and has an even weight rating of 300 lbs. The F1 weighs 50 lbs and supports 400 lbs. (OK the comparison chart in the catalog says 300 lbs for the HD...but on their HD Blog it says "extra clamps are equipped to ensure that the BakFlip HD rails are able to sustain additional weight. The BakFlip HD can handle over 400 LBS of evenly distributed weight")

The HD includes 6 clamps, the F1 has 8. (or perhaps this changed to bring the weight rating in line with the F1??) The HD is not dent resistant (it is all aluminum) while the F1 is dent resistant. Both work with the BakBox accessory. Both carry a 2 year warranty.

Interesting thing I learned in the Bak forum from the owner Julian Maimin:
"The Ford OEM tonneau cover is indeed made by BAK Industries. With that said, the BakFlip tonneau covers will operate the identical way. The differences are subtle, but include a longer warranty through Ford and a few minor refinements in terms of drain valves, rubber seals, modified latch release handles etc. By and large though, the covers are pretty much the same."

In a nutshell, the F1 has better impact resistance than the HD and it doesn’t get as hot to the touch.

I've sent notes to Julian regarding the weight rating difference (or not) and the refinements to the Ford Accessory model. I will report back when I hear something.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
You should call and talk to Julian. Great guy. Although I must warn you that he WILL sell you something before you get off the phone with him. lol

Paid $850 shipping incl for my F1.

Last edited:

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And it sounds like perhaps they've made the strength issue kind of all the same (except for the aluminum vs FRP denting thing)...ie the even spaced load weights may be more similar...waiting on a clarification from Julian.