Baja design relay question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ToadSmasher2K1

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wired this light (BD 20” Onx6) a few weeks ago and everything worked great, until it didn’t…

Yesterday morning I went out to start my truck and it was completely dead. I jumped it and was greeted with alarms and warning galore, brake system fault, traction control, and so on. It seemed unhappy just idling, and the brake lights were illuminated while no one was in the truck. That’s when I noticed the Onx6 was flickering, which is weird because it was turned off.

I removed the inline fuse and restarted the truck, everything went back to normal. Any ideas what’s happening here? Maybe I need to try a different body ground? Maybe the light is defective? Should I ground to the negative battery terminal? I’m not sure since it worked fine for about 3 weeks.

Here is the wiring setup (BD relay harness):

IMG_3749.jpeg

Here is the flicker:

View attachment IMG_3716.mov

@Baja Designs @The Car Stereo Company @smurfslayer
@Specialtyperformanceparts

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToadSmasher2K1

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what size ground, the positive wire is 14ga, so I would assume similar. Good call on the BCM reset.

Ground is the closest ground to the battery, right behind the headlight.

IMG_3750.jpeg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
yeah, that’s bad juju. can you run hot and ground leads directly to the light?
Does it still flicker (I’ll bet no).
What kind of connections are you using?

Trace your wiring backwards from the light - light ground, power connection to blue wire.
then your relay connections to power and ground.

measure voltage on your relay out wire and the same ground and compare to battery terminal voltage
Then use light ground to battery terminal

IF all those check out, you could have a bad relay. Where is it?
The 40a relay I used for my reverse / up fitter 6 rear facing lights was supposed to be water resistant.
It wasn’t

One night I took the trash out and thought ‘hmm, why does Terry have his back yard lit up?. maybe deer tripped the motion lights.'
Next night I saw the same thing from a house window and found my rear facing lights on - The truck was off....

I cycle the up fitter after turning the truck on and they go out. Now I’m suspicious. Then I start getting flashed from behind that day, I pull over and sure enough, they’re lit up again. When I pulled the relay apart, it was completely soaked past the “water resistant” housing and gaskets. Swapped the relay, wrapped it, relocated it and it’s been better.

OP
OP
ToadSmasher2K1

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the harness and relay I'm using.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
You can try going to the negative side of the battery and see if it changes anything. Are you using buττ connectors, whater tight or solder?

OP
OP
ToadSmasher2K1

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The positive and ground connections were made by BD. The only bûtt connector I used was to the blue Aux 2 as a switch for the relay.