Auto wipers sensitivity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyChad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What menu? I've been through all of the menus and I don't see a anything about 'auto sensing'. Can you please guide me to the correct menu?
Thanks in advance!

its under advanced settings -> vehicle -> wipers -> rain sensing

You can toggle that on and off.

hazeleyes

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been pretty pleased with the auto wipers. Occasionally the get to a higher speed then I want and I just turn them off and back on and it seems to go back to normal.

Same here -- I haven't been in that much rain yet, but the wipers work as expected so far, which is pretty much just as you describe and exactly as they did on my last few vehicles (Mazda, Jaguar, Mercedes).

Regarding the variation in experiences: perhaps a windshield coating is affecting the sensor performance? One car wash once used Rain-X on the windshield of one of my cars, and it made the rain sensor go crazy: it behaved a lot like what some of the folks in this thread are describing. I ended up having to turn off the auto-wipers until the Rain-X wore off. Very annoying.

dieseldude

Reaction score
its under advanced settings -> vehicle -> wipers -> rain sensing

You can toggle that on and off.

First off, Thank you ChevyChad.
I looked all over those menus and never found that setting... Silly me.
That setting fixed the issue (turning off the auto sensing wipers).
BTW my dealer looked at it and did not know that setting was there either.
Thanks again to you and the Forum for helping out.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, the auto sensors will only turn on the wipers if the wipers are set to one of the on settings. If you turn it all the back to off, the problem will be solved. Then when you turn on the wipers, the auto setting will adjust the speed and frequency as needed. It does a decent job of that.

Second, the turning on randomly is something that can happen to any auto wipers. They use an optical sensor behind the mirror that detects the light refraction to determine if there is water. The problem is that sometimes dirt or even a glare from the sun can trigger it. It usually will run the wipers for one or two cycles before adjusting and shutting off. Ford's sensors appear to be more sensitive to glare that some of the others I've seen.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same here -- I haven't been in that much rain yet, but the wipers work as expected so far, which is pretty much just as you describe and exactly as they did on my last few vehicles (Mazda, Jaguar, Mercedes).

Regarding the variation in experiences: perhaps a windshield coating is affecting the sensor performance? One car wash once used Rain-X on the windshield of one of my cars, and it made the rain sensor go crazy: it behaved a lot like what some of the folks in this thread are describing. I ended up having to turn off the auto-wipers until the Rain-X wore off. Very annoying.

Come to think of it, mine were fine for awhile until I made the mistake of using those Stoner window wipes from Raptor Assault. They've started to get better again now that the crap is finally wearing off.

Sigma01

Reaction score
Hey guys. By auto wipers you mean the courtesy wipe. I have mine off and wipers off and wipers still go on. Fuses are good. Already wiped down the windshield sensor and still on. Should i replace the relay and fuse anyway?

bo1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's in the "advanced settings" on the main menu on the dash. I keep mine off. Way to fast for the actual amount of rain. Same on my 17 F-250

Sigma01

Reaction score
Disconected the connector from the rear view mirror hoping to disable the sensor and still nothing. Auto parts place is thinking maybe replacing the whole signal/ wiper lever. Still working things out.