Anyone see the Ford oil consumption warnings this week?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
So far after about 1,000 mile and 11,750 miles it seems to have quit consuming oil, although I still have another 2,000 miles to complete the oil consumption test.

My mpg is still on the low side I guess at approximately 14.7 mpg.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
So far after about 1,000 mile and 11,750 miles it seems to have quit consuming oil, although I still have another 2,000 miles to complete the oil consumption test.

My mpg is still on the low side I guess at approximately 14.7 mpg.
That would be high for me. I’m averaging 14.2 currently 99% mountain driving since the new valve covers were installed, it went up from 13.5 over the same conditions.

sixshooter_45

Reaction score
That would be high for me. I’m averaging 14.2 currently 99% mountain driving since the new valve covers were installed, it went up from 13.5 over the same conditions.

But I'm not driving through mountains. I do enjoy running it hard sometimes though and if I drive like an old man I've seen 18 mpg.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update on my oil consumption issue: So my truck spent 10 days at the dealership, where they performed the procedure recommended by TSB 19-2232 (replaced the valve covers) at 4100 miles. I picked up the truck and everything seemed fine. Now at 5900 miles, again I started noticing reduced power on acceleration. Checked the oil, found it almost empty! Going back to the dealership for round II.

Spoke to Ford Corporate, they were very nice and said if this persists to file a claim for a manufacturer buyback.

I am 2 more dealership visits away from a lemon!! Wish me luck either way.:confused::Angry:

Check with the dealer to verify that they installed the updated part number for the valve covers. The updated part numbers are HL3Z-6582-E and HL3Z-6582-C. Also verify that the dealer ordered the valve covers directly from a Ford parts depot and not from parts department stock or another dealership. There were reports that some of the early replacement valve covers (early this past summer) had the same issue and needed to be replaced again.

Do you drive the truck hard? Its amazing that it was able to consume multiple quarts of oil in less than 2000 miles with no other symptoms such as blue smoke or fouled spark plugs, which leads me to believe it's a PCV related issue.

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check with the dealer to verify that they installed the updated part number for the valve covers. The updated part numbers are HL3Z-6582-E and HL3Z-6582-C. Also verify that the dealer ordered the valve covers directly from a Ford parts depot and not from parts department stock or another dealership. There were reports that some of the early replacement valve covers (early this past summer) had the same issue and needed to be replaced again.

Do you drive the truck hard? Its amazing that it was able to consume multiple quarts of oil in less than 2000 miles with no other symptoms such as blue smoke or fouled spark plugs, which leads me to believe it's a PCV related issue.
Thanks for the insight. I honesty don’t know what it is anymore. I took it to another dealer to get a new pair of eyes on it. We’ll see what they say, but I am optimistic that its a fixable issue.

sixshooter_45

Reaction score
Well, I was hoping the oil consumption issue was not going to raise its head again but nope.

At approximately 1,850 miles into the oil consumption test my oil is now about 1 mm below the lower 5 quart mark on the dipstick so they want me to come back one more time next week and the it'll be time to schedule the valve cover replacements per TSB 19-2232.

They told me that they would order them from Ford depot and the TSB does have the correct valve cover numbers that someone posted earlier.

Left Valve Cover - HL3Z-6582-E
Right Valve Cover - HL3Z-6582-C

They stated that it should only take a day.

I'm just hoping this fixes my issue and doesn't create another problem and if I should get a little better mpg, great but I'd be more than happy if oil consumption is fixed.

I really love this truck and want to do a lot of upgrades to it and plan on it being my last truck.

Heck, I only waited 9 years to get one, LOL!

Wish me luck!

Beinkounter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is currently on an oil consumption test, but guess what I was told by the dealership, apparently Ford made sure to cover their asses! I was referred by the dealer to page 563 of the owner's manual which says the following: "You can drive high performance vehicles in such a way that may lead to higher oil consumption this includes extended time at high engine speeds, high loads, engine braking, hard cornering maneuvers, track and off-road usage. Under these conditions, oil consumption of approximately 1 quart per 500 miles (1 liter per 800 km) is possible. As a result, you need to check the engine oil level at every refueling and adjust to maintain proper levels to avoid engine damage."

Attachments

• Tuttle Click Repair Invoice Oil Consumption.pdf
    223.5 KB · Views: 5

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
So can I assume that trucks built after 4/19 have the updated valve covers, and this "shouldn't" be a concern?

Dan096

Reaction score
I'm so glad there are so many EXPERTS on this site.I just sit back and LOL.Not saying I'm a expert ,but i am a 30 year Ford Senior Master Tec and know 3.5s in and out.Yes some 3.5s are using oil. I get at least 2 18-19 Navigators with less than 2000 miles that are 3 quarts low with codes and engine noise.Lost count on how many valve cover replacements, and turbos i replaced.Have 2 that need phasers ,So I can say that definitely there's a oil consumption issue. And by the way I do own a 18 Raptor so i guess I'm not a troll ! Actual Ford tec not a Internet tec.