Android Phones and Texting Over Sync

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched and didn't find anything about this. If I'm wrong, feel free to delete this.

I won't get into rooting and installing 3rd party rom's on an Android phone unless someone wants more information, I'd be happy to help.

Most Android phones aren't compatible with the text message part of Sync. This is purely a software limitation on the phones. CyanogenMod (CM) is the most popular 3rd party rom for Android. There is a Google Code post on getting the component added to CM necessary for getting the Sync radio to read text messages.

If you would like to see this feature added, as I certainly would, please star this post to get it more popular. The star is in the upper left, next to the title.
Issue 3857 - cyanogenmod - Implement MAP Bluetooth Profile - CyanogenMod Android ROM - Google Project Hosting

disclaimer: i'm in no way affiliated with Google or CM. Just a raptor owner that wants his magic truck to read his messages to him.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, if I wanted to root my phone like many of my friends, can I go back to it un-rooted? PM me and send me a link to do this or something. I'm starting to hate my HTC Thunderbolt but really like the phone. I have another to use if I blow this one up. I'm very tech savvy, fwiw.

Banned
Reaction score
Rooting is simple, and yes you can un-root, you just have to flash the stock ROM, and you're back to normal. At least that's what my xoom is like. No idea on the phones. I'm assuming it's the same.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What benefits do you have it from reading? And how hard is it for somebody who is not very tech savvy?

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm currently downloading some 828MB file that offers one click rooting. Who knows. I'll try it. What can happen? I brick the phone? I'll get another one.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, as I'm reading. It didn't work anyway, so I'll just not do it. You can see how much I care.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
I'm currently downloading some 828MB file that offers one click rooting. Who knows. I'll try it. What can happen? I brick the phone? I'll get another one.

I've never seen anything that large necessary to root an Android phone. Can you post a link? This could be evil.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
*Rooting* your phone, i.e., gaining Root access, will not take away the MAP profile (or any other features). You'll still be able to read text messages via Sync. All "rooting" is doing is allowing you to do things with system-level access. Installing a custom ROM on the other hand is when you're replacing the OS with a different version (that might not come with MAP (text-over-Bluetooth) support.