Air Conditioner issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was the OP on the linked thread above. I have not had the smell at all this summer, here is what I did:
1. Swapped out to a K&N reusable filter. I bought the kit with the cleaning spray
2. Hand wash - I stopped using the automatic car wash.
3. If I park outside and it’s possible, I crack the windows for ventilation and fresh air.
4. I also run “auto mode” without recirc

So far it’s worked - i think #2 above may have been the culprit.

Last edited:

spaniard86

Reaction score
I would recommend installing the 90 degree extension on the AC drain tube. Very easy to do yourself and only takes a couple minutes. My experience is one it is to the point of smelling bad it’s difficult to remove the smell permanently. My gen 2 had that problem and after adding the extension I would do a BG frigi clean service once a year or so to keep it smelling good. Also pretty easy service that you can do yourself for around $50 vs $175 to have it done at a shop.

Viral Peas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get that mildew smell every now and again when I first turn on the AC. One thing that seemed to have helped is when I'm a couple of blocks away from where I'm going, I'll turn off the AC and just run the fan. It hasn't removed the smell 100% of the time but it seems to have cut down how often I get it.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If your cabin air filter was nasty it could’ve contaminated the airways or left some lingering stench. Run the hvac on fresh air full blast spray some Lysol into the vents around the windshield Cowl which will get sucked up & run it’s course throughout the system which should help

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I get that mildew smell every now and again when I first turn on the AC. One thing that seemed to have helped is when I'm a couple of blocks away from where I'm going, I'll turn off the AC and just run the fan. It hasn't removed the smell 100% of the time but it seems to have cut down how often I get it.
Yeah this too, actually for cars that aren’t driven a lot in particular (like a vette) it’s known that you should run the hvac on heat or just fresh air no AC on recirculate to remove that condensate & prevent smells