Aftermarket lug nuts for factory wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with aftermarket lug nuts for the factory wheels. I am fed up with fighting my socket off the crappy stock ones.

Will my lugs that I bought for my methods (narrow acorn) fit?

OP
OP
treypal

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I have a set of the gorilla lugs for my methods. Not sure if they will work on the stockers since the acorn is narrow.

Another reason I may be having issues with the stock lugs is because they are 21mm (just found this out), and I have been using a 13/16"

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I have a set of the gorilla lugs for my methods. Not sure if they will work on the stockers since the acorn is narrow.

Another reason I may be having issues with the stock lugs is because they are 21mm (just found this out), and I have been using a 13/16"

nothing is standard sizing anymore, everything is metric these days. using a 13/16" in place of a 21mm will round those lugs off in no time.

to answer your question, the stock wheels are hub-centric. this means that the center of the wheel fits snugly on the hub, centering the wheel. the stock lug nuts have flat flanges on them that basically just hold the wheel to the hub.

those conical splined lug nuts you're talking about are meant mostly for aftermarket wheels because when you buy an aftermarket wheel it may or may not have a hub opening that will fit your truck's hub perfectly.

the solution for aftermarket wheels is to have the tapered stud holes that will accept the "tapered" conical lug nuts which will in turn, center your wheel on the hub when the lugs are seated. this is called lug-centric.

the lug nuts are made for two different reasons, so while the splined lug nuts might fit your stock wheels, they're not really made to and there's no reason to even question it.

get yourself a 21mm and you're good to go. :)

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
******* metric system.

Oh, I know it. When I replaced my bumper, which takes 21mm the first time I grabbed a socket I threw a 13/16" on there and went to town. About when I slammed my head and knuckles off the chassis is when I realized I needed the metric set.

Sent from my right thumb using Tapatalk.

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score

hey treypal i just ordered my methods and ive been looking for the right lugnuts for them i wanna go ahead and get the right ones now so im not dicking around with it when the rims get here haha what type did you get and do they work? also do they come in black?:waytogo: