6.2L Leaking Coolant at the Thermostat Housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You have the right parts.
It seems my 2010 1/2 came with the gasket that you insert around the thermostat.
Which works well for me, I simply slip different thermostats in as needed.
I could use the O-ring, but I believe I would have to buy a new O-ring every time I change the thermostat.

OEM is 195 degrees +/-
Ford said this is optimum engine temperature for the most complete cylinder combustion. (Stock Tune)

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not to be redundantly repetitive, but my leak turned out to be between the alloy gooseneck and the radiator hose. I did a LOT of unnecessary work, when all I needed to do was drain the system just enough to be able to pull that hose, and clean up and smooth the surface of the gooseneck where it seals against the hose. The gooseneck is a casting, and there was a raised line of casting flash that prevented a good seal. And because of the leak, the alloy was somewhat rough in texture. A jeweler's file eliminated the casting flash, and some emery cloth smoothed out the surface. That was all my problem was. See post #24, this thread.

602Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just another semi-related question. Truck just turned 10yrs old / 70K and I'm the original owner. Just doing the coolant flush as PM. Should I be doing all the coolant hoses also? I plan on keeping this vehicle.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just another semi-related question. Truck just turned 10yrs old / 70K and I'm the original owner. Just doing the coolant flush as PM. Should I be doing all the coolant hoses also? I plan on keeping this vehicle.
Mine is 12 years old with just shy of 100K. No leaks or signs of hoses aging. Modern hoses have a LOT longer life than the ones on my mom's '57 Chevy.