6.2 Dyno

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
HP=work done/time taken

work attempted... trying to explain this to you...

time taken... way to long...

HP=0

(same argument turns a 411 HP 6.2 motor into a 0 HP motor when you get stuck in the mud and cannot turn your wheels)...

You know what I am saying I know what you are saying.

Deciding not to debate it anymore.

frog... once again you're trying to make this into a "you know what I'm saying" thing... when in fact I don't. It's obvious you're very smart but some of the "theories" you've presented are misleading and incorrect IMHO...

Like I would never say a 411 HP engine turns into a 0 HP engine because the wheels won't turn...

Or take your description of HP:

frogslinger said:
"It is a stupid measure, which sells poor parts and causes people with badly designed motors to brag in bars and get beaten on the streets..."

Or
frogslinger said:
"Given the other definition of power you could say that Horsepower should be an accurate predictor of gas mileage (conversion of chemical to kinetic energy)... it doesn't do that worth a hoot either though..."

We are not saying the same thing in different ways... I totally disagree with the above quotes and some of the other statements made in your posts.

I guess we'll leave it at that. :cheers:

OP
OP
frogslinger

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did not say we were saying the same thing... I said I thought your perspective is wrong, but like most perspectives it is intractable...

Feel free to disagree with my statements... the first you quote is an opinion, backed up time and again by armchair versus real world races...

The second is an accurate statement (technically)...

In physics, power is the rate at which work is performed or energy is converted.

Ignoring the first half (definition of or), Horsepower is the rate at which energy is converted from one form to another...

Vehicles convert chemical potential energy into Kinetic energy

Power measures that conversion...

Ergo your horsepower should be a measure of how well your vehicle converts chemical energy into momentum...

or gas mileage...

simple steps that lead to an incredibly inaccurate conclusion...

I need to indicate when I am being snide better... ;)

Now what I was saying was I do not feel like I can convince you of anything... And you should probably stop trying to convince me. I understand your argument. I understood it when I was introduced to work in high school physics... I thought it was hokey then (unless you are talking about electricity or hydraulics), I think it is hokey now.

You claim to not understand my argument. If I was still 18 I would spend the next few days trying to explain it... fortunately I am old and decrepit and have lost my vigor...

I am still just as stubborn in my opinions though. The only two uses that I can find in and internal combustion motor for HP are
1) Bragging rights for people who do not know better (it is was fun to stomp S2000 off the line in my underpowered car... it is now fun to stomp on over-cammed hi horsepower mustangs in my slightly less underpowered car)...
2) Describing the torque curve... which you said validates your argument... except that we have a better description of the torque curve... rpm.

Now seriously, this is my last post on this particular subject...

Bon Soir, et bon chance.

OUTCAST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to ask Einstein about this one...

attachment.php

That is GOOD stuff Dan! LMAO

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was it my Dad said....??? "Figures lie... and liars figure." Not that anyone here is lying... it is just a matter of semantics. "It's a damn poor story that can't be told more than one way."

I think the overiding lesson here is just how great a place this is to be. Frog and Mark both have heartfelt positions... and I don't care what you say frogman... you still care even though you are not 18 anymore. You just don't fight any battles you don't have to win. With you two going at it as adults should... arguing your points and backing them up with your logic and reasoning... I can learn much as I sit with Cowboy.

:popcorn::popcorn:

Great to be a part of this. And Dan... you owe me a pair of skivvies... after what I did to mine when I realized you had modified what Einstein had written on the black-board. <GG>.

Falcon

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said GGM.... "Figures lie... and liars figure." I guess Hennessy is in that group. <G>