$33k for Gen 1 OR $43k for Gen 2?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
a 2017 will have the plastic oil pan. Even if it replaced following the TO exactly, it’ll probably end up leaking again. Mine was replaced at 20K and began slowly leaking again around 55K.
IF it starts to leak, you need to take it somewhere that they will ACTUALLY follow the replacement procedure from Ford. Some didn’t leak. Most in fact. But, once they leak, the replacement procedure has to be followed precisely, and I believe that procedure involves a long cure time before refilling and most shops aren’t willing to give up a garage bay for this. In my narrow, military mind, it’s this reason alone they went (back) to the metal oil pan. Shops just wouldn’t follow the instructions properly.
the bouncy rear end when going over bumps at speed.
You’re not hitting them fast enough.

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TSB would be more appropriate term. Not sure how protected it is but I would replace with metal oil pan either way if doing the job

OP
OP
B

BMB063

Reaction score
The Gen 2 is a better truck in every measurable way except exhaust noise. Sorry, I don't let exhaust noise dictate how much I like a truck.
It's better except one glaring issue...engine reliability. After seeing many guys struggle with cam phaser issues at low mileage, that was a dealbreaker for me. I plan to keep this truck long term as our "family utility vehicle" so I don't feel like chasing serious engine issues like that.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's better except one glaring issue...engine reliability. After seeing many guys struggle with cam phaser issues at low mileage, that was a dealbreaker for me. I plan to keep this truck long term as our "family utility vehicle" so I don't feel like chasing serious engine issues like that.
Phasers are not a “reliability” issue. Nobody has ever been left stranded by an objectionable noise. There is no “struggle”, if a truck has the issue at low mileage or any time under warranty. They get replaced and the concern is resolved.

Regardless, the issue was resolved in production 4 years ago. Out of millions of engines built a small percentage were affected. Those built before the production cutoff had were issued a recall that prevents the failure mode.

OP
OP
B

BMB063

Reaction score
Phasers are not a “reliability” issue. Nobody has ever been left stranded by an objectionable noise. There is no “struggle”, if a truck has the issue at low mileage or any time under warranty. They get replaced and the concern is resolved.

Regardless, the issue was resolved in production 4 years ago. Out of millions of engines built a small percentage were affected. Those built before the production cutoff had were issued a recall that prevents the failure mode.

That's helpful, I didn't realize the issue was fully resolved after a certain year. Seems like a lot of misinformation out there or at least exaggerating the issue.

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know at least 2 people maybe a third who are sol to get fixed. As far as i know owners needed to get their trucks fixed by jan 1, 2023 and it was prorated by mileage. Then a lot of people who did get it done had the same junk phasers replaced so they will have problems again and definitely gonna be outta pocket

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know at least 2 people maybe a third who are sol to get fixed. As far as i know owners needed to get their trucks fixed earlier this year. Then a lot of people who did get it done had the same junk phasers replaced so they will have problems again and definitely gonna be outta pocket
Sure you did. “At least” and “maybe” :facepalm:

The new phasers have been out for 4 years; you’re making it up as you go.