25K markup over sticker!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oceanbnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... because you still pay the tax where you register it.

I lived in Seattle and bought a car (wife's) in Oregon.

I'm about to go buy an RV in Utah - where I'll pay zero tax, but will pay the sales tax in Colorado.

They're on to that little charade when it comes to big ticket items.

I love my home state but not enough to hold onto my DL. I switched to AK for the time being. Here I've got this weird quirky borough (what they call county here) deal where the max amount they can charge is $52.50. That's all I'm paying in state tax for this car (not including registration which is like $300).

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love my home state but not enough to hold onto my DL. I switched to AK for the time being. Here I've got this weird quirky borough (what they call county here) deal where the max amount they can charge is $52.50. That's all I'm paying in state tax for this car (not including registration which is like $300).

Cool quirk you could pull off in WA if you lived near the Oregon border:
In WA you have no income tax, but high sales tax as mentioned above (think groceries and other goods, not cars). Oregon has no sales tax. See where I'm going with this?

There were a buncha people who worked in WA, but shopped in Oregon. It's a significant savings when you think about it.

Oceanbnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool quirk you could pull off in WA if you lived near the Oregon border:
In WA you have no income tax, but high sales tax as mentioned above (think groceries and other goods, not cars). Oregon has no sales tax. See where I'm going with this?

There were a buncha people who worked in WA, but shopped in Oregon. It's a significant savings when you think about it.

When I lived there I used that trick when buying big ticket items like a tv and laptop but because you have to pay state tax on a car where you're DL is registered, I couldn't ever figure out how to make buying a car lucrative in OR.

Kansan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do that because they don't want to sell it, seen that price often. They would rather it sit in the showroom to show off and draw truck buyers in. But if an idiot will pay that then by all means they will let it go.

Mine is also for sale @ $119,000, save $999 NOW, PM me if interested.

OP
OP
Padholdr

Padholdr

Reaction score
They do that because they don't want to sell it, seen that price often. They would rather it sit in the showroom to show off and draw truck buyers in. But if an idiot will pay that then by all means they will let it go.

That makes since for them, not for me.. I have yet to find a local dealer willing to sell less than 10k over sticker.

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

This is the exact reason why I hate that Ford allows their dealers to mark up over sticker. My wife and I just went and test drove a Tesla Model X and it was the best experience I have ever had at a dealership. The sales girl was not high pressure one bit. She said the price is what it is, they don't and can't discount. We have the car built to our specs, then they give you a link that allows you to see the build process. You can have your car even delivered directly to your house. Currently there is about a 6 week build time on a new Model X. You get the exact car you want, and for the price as listed.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes since for them, not for me.. I have yet to find a local dealer willing to sell less than 10k over sticker.

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

This is the exact reason why I hate that Ford allows their dealers to mark up over sticker. My wife and I just went and test drove a Tesla Model X and it was the best experience I have ever had at a dealership. The sales girl was not high pressure one bit. She said the price is what it is, they don't and can't discount. We have the car built to our specs, then they give you a link that allows you to see the build process. You can have your car even delivered directly to your house. Currently there is about a 6 week build time on a new Model X. You get the exact car you want, and for the price as listed.

Except buyers did get discounts on the Tesla, used to hit targets then Elon came out against it

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got mine at list from Washington state. It'll be here before the end of the year they said. Will see.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk