'22 Exhaust ticking, getting worse?

Do you have a ticking noise from your Gen 3?

• Yes, only on cold starts.

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Yes, noticable any time, at Idle.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • No, I haven't heard any noise.

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr_Superbia

Reaction score
While I see over the past few years, there have been multiple posts about the issue, none of the treads seem to have updated with conclusions. I figured I would make one just to share what little I know, and see if anyone else has new insight.

I took delivery back in april of '22. Since day 1 I have noticed a metallic ticking from the exhaust, on cold starts. Always at idle/elevated cold start idle. And it goes away or gets quieter once the truck is actively driving. I had taken it to the dealer a few times, and they finally said "Ford knows. There is no fix at this time, and we are advised to not replace anything until they officially have a fix." Now, +20k miles in, I have noticed that the ticking doesn't require a cold start. It also seems to persist for the first few miles instead of clearing up once the vehicle accelerates. After a 30 min drive home from work, I parked it for about 10 min, then started it to go to the store. It was a hot day, so the engine wouldn't have had time to cool. The ticking was immediate. It has also grown possibly louder, though that may just be me being overly sensitive to it.

Before I schedule a new appointment, I thought it would be good to get other experience and thoughts. If everyone is still being told that there is no fix, then there really isn't a point to wasting time taking it in. However, if you have experienced this, and had it identified and/or corrected, please let me know!

I made it a poll, to try to gauge how many others are also affected.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are countless threads about this, please use the search, or browse this sub-section or the sub-section right below it.

OP
OP
M

Mr_Superbia

Reaction score
Thats
There are countless threads about this, please use the search, or browse this sub-section or the sub-section right below it.
I did.. Please read the first line. "While I see over the past few years, there have been multiple posts about the issue, none of the treads seem to have updated with conclusions."
The threads that come up on my searches are either about the Gen 2 noise, or one post threads about this issue with no resolution. Since no one had any further updates, I figured I would try to add what little I have found out, and see if anyone can shed further light.

That being said, I did look at one of the TSB threads. While it didn't have any further information, it did confirm what the dealership told me:

1. Known Issue: Exhaust Rattle on Cold Start
2. TSB: 22-2388
3. Production Dates: Not Specified
4. TSB Notes: According to @HighwaySentinel, the TSB is proprietary so the information is not posted publicly. If you're experiencing an exhaust rattle have your dealer diagnose the issue and the TSB should populate when the tech runs the issue through OASIS.

The main issue for me is that, at the time I was told this, the dealer said that Ford was advising that they do not do anything to fix it, and that they would update once they decide on the appropriate fix. Add to that the fact that now mine is doing it without having to be during a cold start. It is a little worrying.

Last edited:

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the TSB done a few months ago. Exhaust does still rattle on start up. Not as bad as it was before TSB. The exhaust modes are much better after the TSB. I have no plans to do anything else with this issue. I am over it and don't pay any attention to it now.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I had a 2022 the rattle went away if I switch to out of normal exhaust and then back to normal. Not sure why it worked but it did.

MikeJones603

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY22 had the TSB, it was better but still getting the noise on cold starts. Unlike taco-13 this noise drives me crazy. Unfortunately I’ve used up all of my *favors* at the local dealership getting them to replace my noisy/defective shocks (they fought me on the fronts), as a result I’ve been reluctant to make a stink about the exhaust. I’m really close to taking the actuator apart and trying to solve the problem myself. I’ve also debated trying to retro fit an actuator from the GT500 (no idea if it can be done or not).

TX-RAP70R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any issues until the weather gets gold here in Texas like around 30-40 F. Warm weathers i don't here anything.

sxj

Reaction score
在中国有些车主也会出现这样的问题,这个问题是阀门阀体和缸壁之间发生碰撞引发的声音。并且这个阀体不能单独更换,需要和中鼓一起更换。