2019/20 Shark Fin Antenna Functionality & Possible Alternatives?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, long time no see!! Haven’t been here in a while but could use some help. I’m going to be getting a Prinsu roof rack. Called Prinsu because it says it's only thru 2018s and they said this is because of the shark fin antenna on 19s/20s. I am 100% set on the Prinsu for a multitude of reasons so looking at other roof racks is not of interest for me.

I did some digging on here and found the attached pic from @chuckycastle showing how he cut into the wind deflector support to make it work, but I'd like to look at this as a last option.

If I wanted to get rid of the shark fin, what exactly does that antenna do? I know it's something related to wi-fi but what exactly and is that it's only function? The other question is if anyone knows if there's a lower profile alternative out there? As you can see, there's just a tiny bit of extra clearance needed.

Attachments

• 1650233598912.png
    1650233598912.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 85
OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
XM & WiFi as far as I know. Personally, I would keep it.
That's why I'm trying to get a clear answer on what it does. I have never used XM and never will. I also have no use for WiFi in my truck. Trying to understand if there's any other features that go through that antenna.

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pic from @chuckycastle showing how he cut into the wind deflector support to make it work.

Wow this is some hack. Looks like he could have mounted it backwards without any cutting.

The GPS antenna would work fine inside the car as well, without hacking up the exterior. I have a Kenwood antenna installed under the dash by the windshield in another ford for the aftermarket GPS and it has been as strong as the Raptor's signal. It is a 2011 and had the same plug as the factory GPS but a much lower profile antenna.

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow this is some hack. Looks like he could have mounted it backwards without any cutting.

The GPS antenna would work fine inside the car as well, without hacking up the exterior. I have a Kenwood antenna installed under the dash by the windshield in another ford for the aftermarket GPS and it has been as strong as the Raptor's signal. It is a 2011 and had the same plug as the factory GPS but a much lower profile antenna.
There's no way to mount anything backwards, what he did in that pic is the only way if the antenna remains in tact.

I guess the better question I could pose to everyone is what kind of connection is the shark fin antenna? If it's something standard I should be able to just get any flatter replacement option and retain functionality. The 2017/2018s for example have a flatter, matte black antenna that kinda just looks like a pad. I know for a fact the Prinsu rack clears this. If they have the same connections I'd assume the shark fin was just an aesthetic upgrade.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's no way to mount anything backwards, what he did in that pic is the only way if the antenna remains in tact.

I guess the better question I could pose to everyone is what kind of connection is the shark fin antenna? If it's something standard I should be able to just get any flatter replacement option and retain functionality. The 2017/2018s for example have a flatter, matte black antenna that kinda just looks like a pad. I know for a fact the Prinsu rack clears this. If they have the same connections I'd assume the shark fin was just an aesthetic upgrade.
Take it off, fill the hole with RTV, duct tape over it and don't look back. XM, wifi, and GPS are all a waste. They don't get you anything that your phone can't do better.

OP
OP
MAMiller44

MAMiller44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it off, fill the hole with RTV, duct tape over it and don't look back. XM, wifi, and GPS are all a waste. They don't get you anything that your phone can't do better.
I agree but what I struggle with is nobody knowing what that antenna truly does. I’m not going to get rid of it and cap unless there’s some documentation somewhere of all that it services.