2017 Oil use between changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darinz

Reaction score
Hi All. Is anyone having oil usage between changes? Mine seems to be using oil. No signs of leaking so just wondered if it's a common thing as doesn't seem to be any other problem. (and either I can't use the search properly or nothign has been said about it!)

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valve cover leak?
My ‘18 and my ‘20 (knock on wood) have not so far

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hi All. Is anyone having oil usage between changes? Mine seems to be using oil. No signs of leaking so just wondered if it's a common thing as doesn't seem to be any other problem. (and either I can't use the search properly or nothign has been said about it!)
There is a TSB for new valve covers and a software update. Should still apply in New Zealand.

OP
OP
D

darinz

Reaction score
There is a TSB for new valve covers and a software update. Should still apply in New Zealand.
Yeah unfortunately zero support from Ford in NZ. Literally the local dealer can't even fly parts in for me and is forced to sea freight. It's kind of shit! Hopefully later this year when Ford starts converting them to RH drive in Australia that will change but for now... nothing.
But you recon it'll be the valve covers? Zero leaking and I have new concrete I park on at home so nothing at all dripping and no sign so figured it was using rather than leaking.

So next question. Is there anyway I can get someone from the US who knows what they're doing to connect to my truck and check updates etc?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah unfortunately zero support from Ford in NZ. Literally the local dealer can't even fly parts in for me and is forced to sea freight. It's kind of shit! Hopefully later this year when Ford starts converting them to RH drive in Australia that will change but for now... nothing.
But you recon it'll be the valve covers? Zero leaking and I have new concrete I park on at home so nothing at all dripping and no sign so figured it was using rather than leaking.

So next question. Is there anyway I can get someone from the US who knows what they're doing to connect to my truck and check updates etc?
That’s crazy. But yes, trucks build before 04/2019 are susceptible to oil consumption due to the valve cover integrated PCV system. It’s unrelated to an external leak. Your local dealer should be able to do the calibration update.

Some US based dealers will ship internationally; have you tried Ford Parts Giant?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
15km as per manual.
That’s the absolute maximum under the “Normal” driving maintenance schedule; very few if any people actually fall under that criteria, which consists of highway driving, no towing/hauling, no hilly terrain, no idling, and no hot or cold ambient temperatures.

Most people fall under the severe maintenance schedule, which is 5000 to 7500 mile intervals.