2 yrs 40k on 2018 Gen 2 Shocks (pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@FishFreak The reason I used the stock spring initially was to get a baseline measurement on the height of the front of the truck. It turned out to be the same as the gen 1 shocks low perch w/geissers that I had run for 100+k miles. My truck sits at 42 inches front and a touch over at 42.3 in the rear, this is w/stock tires measured from ground to fender flair. It gets tricky going over 42 inches in the front so be careful with spring choice.
Questions Pat, did you ever get to putting the Geiser springs on after running stock? Also do the gen 2 3.0 shocks have 3 perch adjustments like the gen 1 2.5's?

I pulled the trigger on some gen 2 3.0 Fox shox. Got these for $400, but they have 60k miles on them. Look good enough for me, but I'll still take 'em in for a rebuild (and Schrader valve), and since the gen 2 springs are 550 lb for the V6, they'll likely need valving work; a boost in rebound damping and lighter compression damping with the heavier 650 lb V8 spring?

I'd like to do what you did Pat but was thinking of putting on the Eibach gen 1 spring on the bottom perch (if it has choices) with a new top hat and rubber, in advance, to speed installation AND give the front end a little spring boost and slight lift?

Pat can I ask you if you've ever experienced suspension 'top out', where you feel the 'clunk' of your suspension top-out at full rebound after compression? A little worried about that hyperextending aspect since the shock is longer (and cv joint stress) and am strongly considering the Evil Manufacturing Gen 1 Raptor limiting strap kit to keep that from happening?

I emailed Doug at Mikra manufacturing last week to get info on that shorter g2 bottom eye kit, but no reply. Doug's a ghost.

Anyone with experience feel free to chime in here...
Fox 3.0 G2.jpeg

OP
OP
pat247

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The gen 2 shocks do not have the 3 perch adjustments but collars are available from various vendors. Springs are another way to gain lift, let us know how the eibachs work out. As far as top/bottom out, if it happens I don't notice it.

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gen 2 shocks do not have the 3 perch adjustments but collars are available from various vendors. Springs are another way to gain lift, let us know how the eibachs work out. As far as top/bottom out, if it happens I don't notice it.
The more I think about your outcome the more I think I'm gonna skip the Eibachs, cuz I've heard that they're the same 650# rate as stock only longer? If your oem gen 1's put you right where you wanted to be then I'll use the Eibach money on the Evil Mfg front limit strap kit, to prevent hyper-extension, AND/OR the KHC rear gen 2 on gen 1 mount relocate kit so I don't bottom the rear on the shock internals.

If I get the 3+ HD Deavers and the front end is too low, I'll look back into the Eibach up front, or collars to raise the front an inch, OR just skip pushing the front to its downward limits and get longer shackles in the rear to bring down the rear. Thoughts?

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pat were there any other challenges to putting these gen 2 shocks on our trucks?
1. Was the lower shock eye bolt the same size as the gen 1?
2. Do you recall how much longer the gen 2 shocks were than gen 1? That in itself should give my truck the height boost it needs.
3. Do you think the stock front spring rate is sufficient for mostly street, occasional off-road work? Are you even considering using your geisers now?

I may skip the Eibachs and just do what you did, plus maybe a little damping adjustments, and maybe the Flutter Stack valving for plushness on chatter bumps??

OP
OP
pat247

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The gen 2 shocks with gen 1 springs will raise the front 1.5-2 inches. I chose this setup because I have no plans to go to bigger tires and it has worked on my Raptor, 50k+ miles and still rides/drives like new.

jdm_sixtwo

11MPG is average, right?
Reaction score
Ok. I found a great deal ($400) on some gen2 live valves with 30k miles, but they have geisers. Will I HAVE to change the spring out to be able to run them?

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You have Gen 2 Foxes with the Gen 2 Geisers? You should call Geiser tomorrow morning so they can yell at you to not do it because (according to their website)Screenshot_20231103-203158_Chrome.jpg it will raise an already longer shock another 2.5". .

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unless its actually their 3" over springs:Screenshot_20231103-203445_Chrome.jpgA Gen 1 Raptor is roughly 500lbs heavier than Gen 2, but you've substituted the oem 550 inch/lb spring on each corner (weighing only 250lbs more per side), with a longer, higher rate Geiser... on a 1.5" longer shock.

Last edited:

jdm_sixtwo

11MPG is average, right?
Reaction score
Yeah…just wasn’t sure if the extra weight of the 6.2 and big bumper would overcome that. I’m fine switching them for my gen 1 shocks.