13 OEM HIDs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRAPPPP

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I'll admit the stock HIDS are nice. They could definitely be brighter but these lights like u said have a little softer cutoff and cover a good part of the road.

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the look of the factory HIDs especially the black housing units that I bought. The pattern of light is almost perfect right out of the box. That being said they are nowhere as bright as my Retro Solutions 55watt hid kit. The problem with the aftermarket kit was that they were too bright & I had to angle them even lower to the ground than I wanted to avoid being flashed by every on coming car. The light was just everywhere & very very bright in comparison to the OEM unit which have a definite cut off which is perfect for the coming traffic. The high beams on the OEM units is amazing & the high beams on my aftermarket kit wasn't nearly as good.

BRAPPPP

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does retro make an hid kit for the new eom headlights as well. I want the brightest output by my headlights. Not worrie about gettin flashed

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say that's a pretty good deal on the price. I had one of bulbs go bad and the dealer said it was $300 for just the part to replace it under warranty.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does retro make an hid kit for the new eom headlights as well. I want the brightest output by my headlights. Not worrie about gettin flashed

Yup....the top of the line combo Dawson can do for the 2013 headlights is EvoX-R projectors with 55w ballasts, along with adding LEDs inside the housing....I just had him do my set of 2013 lights since I scored the headlights on ebay for a steal, so the money I saved I put towards the upgrades. In the end cost me about the same as buying new factory 2013 lights without upgrades.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f81/...ox-r-55w-5000k-amber-leds-lamin-x-tint-29686/

BRAPPPP

FRF Addict
Reaction score
1, the OEM housings look nicer to a lot of people than retrofitting a halogen housing

2, they're DOT, so you won't get hassled at inspections if your state has them (and yes some guys have been hassled for retros in halogens)

3. they make the truck look like a newer model year with newer style lights instead of retro'ed old style

4. they don't have an annoying sharp cutoff line. I know some get obsessed with a sharp cutoff, but that sharp line of BRIGHT LIGHT to PITCH FRIGGIN BLACK in front of me drives me nuts because any little bump I hit that thing is bouncing up and down several feet when it's projected several hundred feet down the road, where an OEM HID with a soft cut off you don't get that pitch black to bright white line bouncing all around, you don't even notice the light distance changing on little bumps and dips in the road

5. they have MUCH better shielding on the OEM HID and ballast setup so there's zero RF intereference on the radio. Even quality aftermarket HID setups with proper grounding still have interference on weaker radio stations.

All that said, I still went with aftermarket HID projectors/bulbs/ballasts in my 2013+ housings, despite the annoying sharp cutoff and losing my favorite radio station because it's a distant broadcast with a weak signal, but mostly because I scored my housings for $200 each with no ballasts, so I used the money I saved to upgrade inthe OEM 13+ housings. The light output is kick ***, but even OEM HIDs blow the factory halogens out of the water and do have their benefits over aftermarket.

Edit