GEN 1 Trouble Installing Fox3.0 and Rogue UCA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice here. I am trying to install the fox 3.0 coilover with the rogue UCA and LCA slot delete kit.

Because the Rogue UCA has heim joints at the top and is intended to be adjusted there to align the wheels, Rogue says to flip the bolts inward so they can be removed without removing the coilover.

So far everything assembled fine but the bolt for the UCA won't fit anymore because of the external reservoir exit is in the way. I am thinking about cutting the bolt and using a smaller nut, but not sure if that is a good way to go.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

shock-trouble.jpg

JtoU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would put bolts same way as they were and just open bolts from top plate and lower shocks so you can take bolts out. There is just like 2 to 3 millimeter space between fitting and bolt head.

Pic of mine and how close bolt is
8fE2SPl.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigrig

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks JtoU. I ended up cutting the bolt, though I may end up doing it your way if I see any movement of the bolt/nut over time.

The space up there is so tight, I got a grade 10.9 nut that didn't have as much height and used some blue loctite on it.

I sort of question Fox's design for putting the external reservoir exit where they did. There is a lot of room to move that fitting forward which would create the needed space. But who am I to question the offroad gods.

Here is a pic of what mine now looks like:

cut-bolt-fix.jpg

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at getting some shocks like these. Maybe you good folks can let me in on if I can and what I'll need to do so! 109082cb86943dd5bc7d752843196947.jpgdcab635b72227a31b35345e1c6365487.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bigrig

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at getting some shocks like these. Maybe you good folks can let me in on if I can and what I'll need to do so!

I'm not sure how this relates to my original issue, but sure, I guess we can talk about you wanting to get these shocks.

First though @waddellw, your profile picture has a Gen1 truck on it. Is that what you are currently driving? If so, I don't believe the shocks you posted pictures of will work for your truck. I see them listed on the RPG site as only available for Gen2 trucks.

If you are indeed driving a Gen2 truck, and wish to get these shocks, I would say either reach out to Rick at Freedom Motor Sports (Rick@FreedomMotorsports or @RDFTS) or Forged Offroad. Both are supporting vendors on the site and are great people to work with. RPG offers them at a premium but they also spend time revalving them specifically for your truck.

Fox is notorious for taking forever to process orders so be prepared to wait.

Sooooo... does anybody have anything related to my original post to talk about or should we just leave this thread hijacked and call it a day?

NE Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have nothing related to add but I am subb'ed because I'm researching UCAs for my upcoming jump to 37s.

I know a few guys running the rogue uppers and Fox but they didn't flip the bolt like you did.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why don’t you just install the bolts as designed and be done with it?

They are designed to go from inside the shock bucket out. Simple solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bigrig

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have nothing related to add but I am subb'ed because I'm researching UCAs for my upcoming jump to 37s.

I know a few guys running the rogue uppers and Fox but they didn't flip the bolt like you did.

Thanks NE Ford! Good to know that I might be in the minority by flipping the bolt.

I did a rough alignment check today and it looks like I may not even need to adjust caster or camber that much. So my worries about having to remove the UCA a bunch to get it right may not be warranted.

I will have a definite answer next week after I get it back from a real alignment shop to see how good of a job I did with my basic alignment tools.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

Why don’t you just install the bolts as designed and be done with it?

They are designed to go from inside the shock bucket out. Simple solution

The slot delete that I installed on the LCA makes it so that the UCA needs to be removed to adjust caster and camber through the heim joints on the UCA.

Flipping the bolt is done to make it so I don't have to remove or drop the coilover when removing the UCA in this process.

Really in the end I am just following the directions that Rogue posted on their site.

I am kind of liking @JtoU solution by putting three longer bolts in the top coilover mount and then loosen those bolts, using the extra bolt length, to drop the coilover to get the bolt out in the OEM position.

Really, my way requires me to unmount the brake controller on the driver side to get the bolt in anyway so it is almost as much work as just dropping the coilover.

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how this relates to my original issue, but sure, I guess we can talk about you wanting to get these shocks.

First though @waddellw, your profile picture has a Gen1 truck on it. Is that what you are currently driving? If so, I don't believe the shocks you posted pictures of will work for your truck. I see them listed on the RPG site as only available for Gen2 trucks.

If you are indeed driving a Gen2 truck, and wish to get these shocks, I would say either reach out to Rick at Freedom Motor Sports (Rick@FreedomMotorsports or @RDFTS) or Forged Offroad. Both are supporting vendors on the site and are great people to work with. RPG offers them at a premium but they also spend time revalving them specifically for your truck.

Fox is notorious for taking forever to process orders so be prepared to wait.

Sooooo... does anybody have anything related to my original post to talk about or should we just leave this thread hijacked and call it a day?
Didn't mean to go thread jacking. I have a gen 1 and I knew it said gen 2 but I don't know enough about shocks to see why it wouldn't work, as to why I was looking for some people that had done so. Seemed like a relavant place to post a comment, I'll make sure to do it elsewhere here on out. Hope your issue gets resolved.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk