Fox 3.0 Ride Height Adjustment Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evil Twins

Reaction score
I'm in the midst of setting my front ride height and need to know how much I can raise the front without causing major issues. I have a torsen front diff, Fox 3.0's on all 4 corners and WSI SD springs in the back. The front is currently set at about 26 1/4" from hub to fender flare (shown in pic) and obviously needs to come up a bit to be level with the back.

The measurements I got from searching old threads is 26.5" for mid perch equivalent. Is 26.5" the max I can go, even with 3.0's?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Truck1.jpg
    Truck1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 253

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can go higher, just be aware that the higher you go, the less torque capacity the cv joint will have when you're in 4x4.
The best way to set your ride height is to droop out the suspension all the way. Measure exposed shock shaft, cut that in half and it's your ride height measurement.

OP
OP
Evil Twins

Evil Twins

Reaction score
Yes it's been fully converted. The 6.5 ft bed is great from a practical standpoint but I'll see it goes from an offroading standpoint.

Thanks guys. I'll shoot for 26.5" as that seems to be the general consensus.

Just thinking out loud... How does overly increasing spring preload on a coilover setup relate to extra stress on the CV axles? Increasing preload on the spring doesn't change the overall travel of the suspension, correct? Isn't the CV axles at a much greater angle when the suspension is at full droop or full compression?

Juiced4ever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you increase preload on these coil overs, including 3.0's it lifts the front end leading to more bind in the cv joints. Which leads to extra stress and possible early failure. Hope that makes sense. @ntm has the coil over measurement perfect. Follow that guide and you will be good.

Yes it's been fully converted. The 6.5 ft bed is great from a practical standpoint but I'll see it goes from an offroading standpoint.

Just thinking out loud... How does overly increasing spring preload on a coilover setup relate to extra stress on the CV axles? Increasing preload on the spring doesn't change the overall travel of the suspension, correct? Isn't the CV axles at a much greater angle when the suspension is at full droop or full compression?

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Correct, max cv angle at full droop.
When you crank the coil over up, the less torque they can handle in 4wd before they break.
Other downside to cranking it up too much is that your out of the bypasses ride zone, or close to the end of it. So you get a crap ride, and poor performance on chop, same as running top perch on stock shocks.