Tinted tail lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I am opposed to leaving them uncoated (I probably would have if I had seen this or thought of it), but the single coat doesn't impede much light emission at all. If I was going darker with multiple coats, it would be a must though.

As you can see in my pic, it looks almost purple unmounted. Back on the truck with black paint behind it, it's totally black. With a silver or white truck, you would almost have to go darker. I imagine blue would be somewhere in between. :)

OP
OP
terryturner

terryturner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I am opposed to leaving them uncoated (I probably would have if I had seen this or thought of it), but the single coat doesn't impede much light emission at all. If I was going darker with multiple coats, it would be a must though.

As you can see in my pic, it looks almost purple unmounted. Back on the truck with black paint behind it, it's totally black. With a silver or white truck, you would almost have to go darker. I imagine blue would be somewhere in between. :)
Very true. I'm thinking maybe I can do the whole thing with 1 coat and then tape off the 3 lights for coat #2

OP
OP
terryturner

terryturner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used VHT night shades. One slightly heavy coat on each tail light and three coats on the 3rd brake light. As said before I cut out circles using painters tape to allow the LEDs to not be blocked. I used a 10mm socket as my stencil for the circles. Not the best pictures but you get the idea. View attachment 55999
View attachment 56000

Edit: I also used three coats of clear on the tails and 3rd.
Are they still fairly bright/noticeable?

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

I will try and take a couple of pictures for you tonight that semi-accurately depict what mine looks like as it is.
Awesome! Really appreciate it.

Soldier64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they still fairly bright/noticeable?

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Awesome! Really appreciate it.

Yes they are plenty bright. The three LEDs that are not coated make a very noticeable red line as if the light wasn't coated at all. I also only did one coat on the tails because I want them to shine more than not and still look black. Do it and you'll love it.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Very true. I'm thinking maybe I can do the whole thing with 1 coat and then tape off the 3 lights for coat #2

Cover the 3 led's first and do one coat then peal off the stickers covering the leds and hit the second coat. This will help blend in that edge of when you peal the stickers so it's not so noticeable.
Let it cure and then lay 3 nice coats of clear over top to seal it all in.
I personally wet sand it after a few days to remove any imperfections and buff it to a nice shine.
But that's just me. :crazy: