The Process of “Binning”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to share some information with everybody about the process binning. There are two primary performance characteristics of LED light bulbs that manufactures use to categorize and price their LEDs – Luminous Output (brightness) and color temperature.
All LED light bulb manufactures sort their bulbs for luminous output and color temperature after mass- production using a practice called “binning.” Binning is complicated but in general terms, bulbs measured with the highest luminous output and the most desirable color temperature are put in the highest rated “bin.” Each subsequent bin has lower performance ratings and/or less desirable color, until they get to the last bin with the lowest performance ratings.
Most important, the cost differential and LED quality from the highest rated bin to the lowest rated bin is significant. For example, the lowest Cree XPG model LED output bin has 20% fewer lumens per watt than the highest rated bin. To save money, many manufactures of off-road lighting systems select from the cheaper, inferior LED “bins” , which produce vastly inferior results when compared to the same model LEDs from higher rated bins. Of course, their marketing departments still claim the maximum theoretical lumens instead of what they are actually using.
Be sure to spend your money wisely and buy from reputable manufactures that only use bulbs from the highest rated bins.
Baja Designs only accepts bulbs from bins containing the highest output bulbs and optimal color temperature for off-road. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Zach BD
760-560-2252

Badrap

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yanked my D*****,s out of the fog light holes. What do you recommend to replace them?
Good info by the way!

Banned
Reaction score
very cool! did not know that they could differentiate so much.
its good to know!

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Great information. You've been definitely 1st on my list to purchase off-road lights ever since I saw them on Raptor Addicts truck.
Very nice stuff.

OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for reading guys we really appreciate here at Baja Designs :)

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep---a fact I have known for many years. My flashlight builder tests each light he does but this is a fact that most folks are not aware of. Always be an educated consumer--or in my case just like to have the biggest and best or smallest and brightest out there lol..

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Yep---a fact I have known for many years. My flashlight builder tests each light he does but this is a fact that most folks are not aware of. Always be an educated consumer--or in my case just like to have the biggest and best or smallest and brightest out there lol..

Is there anything you don't know Hoss?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2