Ideal light setup suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think this was one of the best responses to how different light technology works, and how combining that technology is the best approach. Hopefully @KC HiLiTES will chime in on their suggestions.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f211/does-size-matter-29703/

or here

Technology - Measuring LED, HID and Halogen Lighting

VisionX (light cannons and now KC (gravity series) offer the only LED lighting that can come close to the distance / performance of HIDs.

LED bars work great, and are a big improvement over no auxiliary lights, but just because they have tons or lumens, doesn't mean you can use all that light.

Here is my longer term plan. LED bars and cubes low in the bumper for close to mid-range lighting. Gravity lights on the bar for mid to long range, and when I get to everything else, HIDs on the roof for long range. Combine all technologies to fill in the various ranges. Sticking to LED bars or HIDs, or Halogens only will limit the zones you can light in front of you.

9896-lights.jpg

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this was one of the best responses to how different light technology works, and how combining that technology is the best approach. Hopefully @KC HiLiTES will chime in on their suggestions.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f211/does-size-matter-29703/

or here

Technology - Measuring LED, HID and Halogen Lighting

VisionX (light cannons and now KC (gravity series) offer the only LED lighting that can come close to the distance / performance of HIDs.

LED bars work great, and are a big improvement over no auxiliary lights, but just because they have tons or lumens, doesn't mean you can use all that light.

Here is my longer term plan. LED bars and cubes low in the bumper for close to mid-range lighting. Gravity lights on the bar for mid to long range, and when I get to everything else, HIDs on the roof for long range. Combine all technologies to fill in the various ranges. Sticking to LED bars or HIDs, or Halogens only will limit the zones you can light in front of you.

9896-lights.jpg

I like your approach. For me i didn't have a need for extreme range or even ranges far exceeding normal high beams, and on top of that i only needed to cast light at one basic distance...I needed a lot of light in close. But the 30 bar on the front out performs factory high beams incredibly well so thats a bonus for me on the road.

If I had a need to cover different ranges I would go the route you're suggesting.

As an aside, I have 2 KC carbon pods 70w HID, 2 Rigid Dually D2 hyper spots and 2 Rigid Q series hyper spots arriving tomorrow to test on a pair of hood mounts i just got....these were bought specifically for Havoc and other raptor events and will most never be on other than night runs at those events.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You're gonna love those KC Pods. I wish I could afford them, even when they are discounted....

JayLV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have said it all depends on how much money you're willing to spend and what your goals are.

I have a Rigid 20" in the lower grill, a 40 and a 30 with amber covers behind the grill. Picking up an ADD Stealth bumper though so that 40 is going to come forward. And if I decide to go nuts I'd probably get the WSI Faux Hawk and throw HIDs there.