Ideal light setup suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6cuda6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys time for your input, because there is just to many options available and the cost can be substantial .

So, in order of installation or cost control what would be your lighting choices if you had a new truck to work with?

Example:
20" in bumper, 2 x 30" behind grill, last would be 50" roof mounted

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What are your needs would be a better question.

How much do you have to spend?

What mounting possibilities do you have? Stock truck? Willing to drill holes?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My personal setup is a 40" Elite combo pattern in the upper grille below the FORD and a 30" Elite spot pattern in the upper grille above the FORD. I then have 2 Apollo4 spots in the lower inside fog openings and 2 Apollo4 amber floods on the outside fog openings. I also have 2 Apollo4 floods mounted in the rear as auxiliary lighting. I plan to also add some hood mounts as well. I don't have the 20" in the lower grille because I run a front plate since they're required in Texas. Although I have considered adding a couple 4" Elite floods in that location adjacent to the plate.

Hope this helps you make your decision, if you have any other questions, just let me know!

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're looking for distance I would prioritize the lights located higher up on the truck.
For general lighting the bumper mounts work well.

I have done after market lighting in 2 F250s for long haul driving and lighting on my raptor for use as a hunt truck.. this is what i found and did:

On each of the F250s, I added a 20" combo light bar in the bumper tied into the high beams. The light bar has a spot beam in the middle and floods on each side. In addition I have a rigid dually D2 with a driving beam in each of the fog light pockets switched on the factory fog light switch. I can add amber covers if needed. This work very well for my highway/long trip driving needs.

On my raptor, i have the following: 30" combo in an ADD bumper tied into my high beams. 2x 4" Rigid SR spot lights with amber covers in the front bumper, 2x 6" rigid SR spots facing on angles to the right and left in the front bumper as well. I have a 50" forward facing flood light bar on the top of a chase rack and a 30" rear facing flood light bar on the chase rack as well. I have several dually D2 diffuse lights on the sides and rear of the truck. I use this set up for staging my hunts in the dark with a bunch of people, dogs, boats, ATVs and gear. the 30" is great for highway driving and the 4" ambers are a good contrast in fog or misty mornings.

For me, I was able to do it all at once, if i had financial or time restrictions, I would have prioritized the forward 50 and rear 30.

there are a lot of great lighting manufacturers on this forum and around. figure out what YOUR need is and then gather data and make you're decision. I got a lot of direction from dealers and manufacturers that meant well but wasn't accurate for my needs so I had to step back and figure my plan out, then find the right type of light and then the company with good products service. I'm very satisfied with the outcome of my set up.

hope this helps..

good luck!

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check my signature line. To me the 20 inch in the bumper and 2 sets of cubes is a no brainer because it looks like the truck was made fort them. They fit perfectly. Very functional. I have one set I can drive with, and another with a wide pattern for off-road and back street driving. I just recently did a very cool mod where I put 2 M and R hood floods very high in the grill. Not only does it look cool, and different, it is bright as hell. All 4 of my switches are full. Love the lights. Here is the link for the high hood floods.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f81/m-r-hood-mount-kit-behind-grill-31507/

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
if you're looking for distance I would prioritize the lights located higher up on the truck.
For general lighting the bumper mounts work well.

I have done after market lighting in 2 F250s for long haul driving and lighting on my raptor for use as a hunt truck.. this is what i found and did:

On each of the F250s, I added a 20" combo light bar in the bumper tied into the high beams. The light bar has a spot beam in the middle and floods on each side. In addition I have a rigid dually D2 with a driving beam in each of the fog light pockets switched on the factory fog light switch. I can add amber covers if needed. This work very well for my highway/long trip driving needs.

On my raptor, i have the following: 30" combo in an ADD bumper tied into my high beams. 2x 4" Rigid SR spot lights with amber covers in the front bumper, 2x 6" rigid SR spots facing on angles to the right and left in the front bumper as well. I have a 50" forward facing flood light bar on the top of a chase rack and a 30" rear facing flood light bar on the chase rack as well. I have several dually D2 diffuse lights on the sides and rear of the truck. I use this set up for staging my hunts in the dark with a bunch of people, dogs, boats, ATVs and gear. the 30" is great for highway driving and the 4" ambers are a good contrast in fog or misty mornings.

For me, I was able to do it all at once, if i had financial or time restrictions, I would have prioritized the forward 50 and rear 30.

there are a lot of great lighting manufacturers on this forum and around. figure out what YOUR need is and then gather data and make you're decision. I got a lot of direction from dealers and manufacturers that meant well but wasn't accurate for my needs so I had to step back and figure my plan out, then find the right type of light and then the company with good products service. I'm very satisfied with the outcome of my set up.

hope this helps..

good luck!

Can you post your Raptor? I didn't see any pictures of it anywhere.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
What are your needs would be a better question.

How much do you have to spend?

What mounting possibilities do you have? Stock truck? Willing to drill holes?
Great place to start. Cost vs performance is something to keep in mind, given what your planned use is. If you only plan on using them occasionally or are doing it for the look, cheap lights will be fine. If you really want down range performance, the optics of the cheap lights won't get you there. If you are after performance and don't have a lot to spend right now, hood mount HIDs are your best bang for the buck.