HID headlights overpower 4 Xenon pods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTRazz

Reaction score
I have the HID headlights and I'm wondering if the four pods would help at all with 100w Xenons (halogen) in them or if they would be virtually worthless? I would like to go LED and probably will, but I have his setup sitting in the shop for free. Was wondering if it would be worth throwing on or not... Thinking about using the outside two for ditch work and the two centers for any help distance wise that they would provide. Thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
MTRazz,
I can't answer your question. However I have a pair of 35 watt HID Hella Optilux on Alternative Offroad hood mounts. They are a driving pattern and I have them angled outward about 3 degrees on each side. With the factory HID headlights on low beam they light up the sides beautifully. With the factory HID headlights on high beam there is little additional benefit from the hood mounted lights.
Search for the light comparison threads. All things being equal, HID's give the best light farther away. LED's throw out a lot of light but don't seem to give as much useable light further away. Halogen lights are very dependent on the reflectors; more useable light with bigger reflectors. The downside to Halogen is electrical draw which is much more than HID, and even more than LED's...(Halogen>HID>LED electrical draw).

Eddie

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f81/lighting-shootout-results-trr-2015-a-42166/

Last edited: