DIY, Mini H1 projector retrofit W/Apollo shrouds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turf Tamer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying this is a huge undertaking and is extremely time consuming. I would recommend setting aside the better part of a weekend to be on the safe side before attempting this.

The components used where all purchased from The Retrofit Source. com

For this particular build I used

Morimoto Mini H1 5.0 Projectors
Morimoto 3five.1 Ballasts
Morimoto XB35 H1 Bulbs
Motocontrol H13 Relay Harness
Apollo Shrouds

Required tools

T-20 torx bit
flat head and phillips screwdriver
dremel tool
heat gun
scissors
10MM and 7mm sockets
adjustable wrench
pair of good gloves

Additional recommended items

OCI Butyl resealing glue (purchased from TSR)
Plastic epoxy
Rolled aluminum sheet (used to make shroud extensions)
Beer and lots of it

Ok, so lets get started............

First you will need to remove your headlights. Using your 10mm socket, remove the three bolts that hold the HL assembly in place the pull straight out.

Now to the fun part, getting these suckers open. Preheat you oven to 265 degrees and place your Headlight inside for 7 minutes. Using your now gloved hands remove your headlight and use your flat blade screwdriver to pry the the lens from the housing in small increments. Take your time and use the heat gun to reheat the area you are working on. This will most likely take over an hour to complete one headlight. Before removing the lens you will need to remove the bezel retaining screw on the back of the headlight. This is done with the 7mm socket. Once you are ready to remove the lens through the light in the oven again for another 7 minutes and once you remove it it should come off with a little encouragement. Repeat steps for 2nd light.

Now that your lights are opened up use your T-20 trox bit to remove your factory bulb shield. Remove the rubber boot and factory bulb from the rear of the housing. So now your left with just the main reflector and the headlight housing.

Front and rear pics

737cb2e6cb8b21ee0669d31d30bda81c.jpg

91db5ca7153bc9c4629e16750dfe7395.jpg

The stock reflector bucket requires permanent modification to allow the threaded end of the projector to protrude far enough out the rear to allow the lock-nut to thread below the recessed groves used to mount the bulb retention plate. (sorry if that is a little confusing)
Use your dremel and remove the excess material from the reflector side of the bucket. You will also need to drill through and widen the screw hole that was used to mount the bulb shield, this will provide a channel to run the Hi/Lo wires through at a later time.

should look like this once complete.

4a633bdfad0a47746891ff8e4acdc2fb.jpg

Remove any dust created from the previous step and place the projector in the housing. Thread the Hi/Lo wires through the hole you created earlier. Place adapter plate 1 (refer to pic below) on to the threaded end of the projector making sure the grooved end is facing up. Thread the lock-nut over the adapter plate and tighten lock-nut. Be sure not to over tighten at this point, you will need to be able to adjust the horizontal plane when aiming the lights at a later time. Using your phillips screwdriver, mount your bulb retention plate to the rear of the projector.

b002d26bb4d4d26c1a5a370f7fac13ce.jpg

it should look like this once completed

b63411744cdcacf2cba1380477c687d1.jpg

a39f63f7fd3f67407394f4ed1b42e4be.jpg

Now its time to test these bad boys out and aim them. Park your truck on a level surface and find a wall or fence to project the light on. Fire them up and with a gloved hand adjust the horizontal plane of the lights by rotating the projector body clockwise or counter clockwise. The vertical adjustment is made by rotating the height adjuster screw located on the back of the headlight assembly. Once everything is set to your liking carefully remove the headlight assembly and use the optional plastic epoxy to permanently set the projectors in place.

beem shot after adjustments

a326bde1846f47730d48757ea549ae11.jpg

5b6bf87eeb333e909a4831c998109b99.jpg

Allow the epoxy to cure before moving on to the next step.

In cert the shroud-centric ring into the shroud and place it on the projector. Form a cylinder using construction paper the same diameter as the widest portion as the shroud. Slide the cylinder over the shroud until it makes contact with the reflector bucket. Trace a outline of the contours of the bucket onto the paper and remove and unroll the paper. Cut the excess paper away and repeat this process until the paper evenly contours the curves of the reflector bucket. Now use the paper as a stencil and cut out your shroud extension on your aluminum sheet.
Affix your shroud extension to your shroud and test fit once more before permanently mounting it to the projector.

06b69dc2d9e75ac46ea39c5b8b144d00.jpg

169a05a957365d4cebfd73053c94a6df.jpg

Test fitting

I decided to paint the shroud extensions to match the black factory bezel.

3e02bdc35e32d13b121d74771bd9a389.jpg

46a5cdaa50223cd86bd2de6172af6689.jpg

Once it fits properly, permanently affix the shroud extension to the shroud using glue or epoxy. Now its time to attach the shroud to the projector. Prior to doing this I recommend removing all the excess OEM sealant from the headlight assembly and the lens. This will allow you to place the lens over the assembly so you can see exactly what everything will look like once it is sealed back up. Clean the area with rubbing alcohol to remove any oils and apply a light coating of plastic epoxy on the projector bezel. This stuff sets in 5 minutes so you will need to work fast and make sure everything lines up the way you want it. Slide the shroud over the projector and set it in place, I did this while the the headlights where mounted, so I took a few paces back and made sure everything was level.

Shroud mounted with plastic epoxy, the lens is just there to give me a idea of what it will look like when complete.

7faae807ca493af7ff1c4938ada4d051.jpg

68e13d8db57c0590c2184b320909af8e.jpg

both shrouds mounted

4ac6cd6139e3305f6888bc82903d0a73.jpg

Two things I just learned the hard way.

1. Don't use rubbing alcohol to clean the chrome the shroud, it will leave permanent slight haze.
2. Do not use super period. I used it to secure the shroud extensions to the shroud and I just took the second headlight out of the oven and the glue went all CSI on my ass and partially vaporized leaving a coating on the inside of the projector lens. At this point I'm unsure if it will have a dramatic affect on performance. Man I'm pissed right now. :banghead:

Well it looks like I will have to open up the headlight assembly and replace the lens in the future.The one headlight is definitely brighter than the other. I was hoping this would serve as a (how to), but its looking like this thread will serve as a (what not to do).

this is what the lens looks like with the glue haze

left HL

91db137e7164964b5e4cec9ae999e28f.jpg

2cf27fcc084d076ace17d0a38ebcd45d.jpg

Pics of the final install

Still looks killer though

fe73abc33be2f43df587cb5406b252ca.jpg

59eda13465cad7f4076bf36b126ff879.jpg

8977b482167ce33520a74bc2ddcb5d43.jpg

Thats it for now, I may update the thread if and when I replace the lenses.

Hope this will help those who are considering having a go at it. My guess is most of you will look at this and say "F- that, I'm calling Ducati."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Turf Tamer

Turf Tamer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome post! Can't wait to see the rest

Me too, I want these bad boys finished up and mounted. All I need to do is paint the shrouds extensions black, clean everything up and reseal the lights. Sounds easy enough, but like everything else thus far it will probably take five times as long as I initially thought. :banghead: