Cracked windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mridahodan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, apparently, it got too cold in Ohio (< 1 f) for my front windshield. I was sitting in it warming it up and I hear a crack. I then notice that I have a nice new crack on the windshield.

I had my truck scheduled to go in to have a few things checked on so I had them look at the window also. I figured it was defective so should be replaced by warranty. They said that if there was no impact marks (which there aren't), then it should be covered.

They are jumping through hoops now to get it pre-approved to be replaced. I need to run back in so they can take pictures to send to Ford.

Hopefully they will step up and replace it. The service manager said they should.

I have seen the reports of rear windows breaking because of the defroster, but never a front windshield.

Here is a picture.

Attachments

• 2016-01-14 10.24.58.jpg
    2016-01-14 10.24.58.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 139

MatMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mind did the same exact thing, it began from a teeny weeny rock impact that was almost invisible. Still need to have it replaced. It walked/grew when I turned the defroster on.

Crack

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, apparently, it got too cold in Ohio (< 1 f) for my front windshield. I was sitting in it warming it up and I hear a crack. I then notice that I have a nice new crack on the windshield.

I had my truck scheduled to go in to have a few things checked on so I had them look at the window also. I figured it was defective so should be replaced by warranty. They said that if there was no impact marks (which there aren't), then it should be covered...

Hi mridahodan,

Any news from your dealership today? What's your Raptor's model year/mileage? I'm here if you need any assistance.

Crystal

OP
OP
M

mridahodan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it turns out that there was a VERY tiny chip down at the bottom of the window way below the wiper blades. Soo... They are not covering it, but my car insurance is. So it's getting replaced Thursday.

Ramathorn178

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously late but, did you get a regular glass replacement or a sound screen? ive got a few fixed chips and recently picked up another so im thinking about the switch.

cbcgeneral

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Obviously late but, did you get a regular glass replacement or a sound screen? ive got a few fixed chips and recently picked up another so im thinking about the switch.

I had mine replaced with the soundscreen. It was a easy decision for me since I only had to pay my $100 detectable through my insurance but it does make a noticeable difference. On windy days or when you're cruising at 85mph you don't get any wind noise at all. It makes the cab noticeable quieter when driving.

OP
OP
M

mridahodan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also ended up with the sound screen. Both my wife and I notice a difference when on the highway. I didn't know it existed when I ordered the window, I just wanted the window with the ford logo on it and it ended up being the sound screen version.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to have mine replaced and the one the VIN called for was a sound screen. I'm sure that was an error but I didn't argue :)

s.reef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a part number for the sound screen or will I need a 2014 VIN?