Words Of Wisdom

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZ SVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several years ago the Army sent me on a couple trips out to Sparks Nevada to get training at Rod Hall's Off-Road Racing School and, later, to Josh Hall's Tier One Off-Road HMMWV Operator Course. These pros gave me some good advise:

How fast is too fast? Ask your self these three questions:

1. Am I relaxed?
  2. Am I comfortable?
  3. Can I put and keep the truck EXACTLY where I want it?

If you have to say NO to any of these questions, you are driving TOO FAST! Here is the explanation for the questions:

1. If you are white knuckling the wheel and not relaxed you know you are driving beyond your personnel ability and need to slow down. Remember, just like shooting a pistol, don't worry about being fast. Practice doing it correctly and speed will naturally come. You can't wreck your truck fast enough to win!
  2. If you are physically uncomfortable, beating yourself to death rattling your teeth and crushing your spine you are without a doubt beating your truck to death too! You can not break your truck fast enough to win!
  3. If you can not keep the truck exactly on the line you want you are out of control! Keep it up and you WILL eventually wreck and break your truck.

These truths hold true regardless of the vehicle you are driving or the conditions. Adjust accordingly and constantly!

Another thing the Halls harped on us about was that tires and suspensions only have so many hits they can take before they fail. Every rock you miss today is one you can hit tomorrow! In other words, drive around it if you can because you can't win if you don't finish!

BDRAG

HAhahaaaa.
Reaction score
Several years ago the Army sent me on a couple trips out to Sparks Nevada to get training at Rod Hall's Off-Road Racing School and, later, to Josh Hall's Tier One Off-Road HMMWV Operator Course. These pros gave me some good advise:

These truths hold true regardless of the vehicle you are driving or the conditions. Adjust accordingly and constantly!

Another thing the Halls harped on us about was that tires and suspensions only have so many hits they can take before they fail. Every rock you miss today is one you can hit tomorrow! In other words, drive around it if you can because you can't win if you don't finish!

Thanks, I will remember ALL 3 on my way to coffee with my old man this morn! HAhahaaaaaaaa. No really, Thanks.

BDRAG

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And remember, if it's ( insert random obstacle here) in the trail, and you stare at it, good chance you'll hit it!, look for your line around it.