Anyone ever use the parking brake as a "handbrake" and 180's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use to use my parking brake as a hand brake with my old Chevy Colorado to do a 180. I would hold the brake release so I can depress the parking brake pedal with my foot to lock the rear tires and unlock them when I was done.
First, does anyone ever do this? I was reading the Wikipedia on Handbrake driving techniques and I wanted to ask: Handbrake turn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, after doing a 180, sometimes the engine stalls. This is to prevent vehicle damage from the tires spinning the wrong way, am I correct? Costco parking lot + rain from what I hear is a slippery fun time. So I hear :winner_first_h4h:

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I tried it once and just to hold the release handle and push the pedal was crazy awkward for me to do. So I've never really done it again.

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, get a tuner and go full steering lock, you will have no problems doing anything like that. You do know the tires cost over $320 each, right?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can always remove the lock on the parking brake, however you will no longer be able to set it since it would act as a momentary