Raptor shopping in CA!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ErikB

Reaction score
Hello everyone, My name is Erik and I'm in Northern Ca. I have been trolling the forum for a while now, figured it's time to join. I have been a loyal ford owner for the last 20 years been through four fords. My son has also had two mustangs,one of which I feel saved his life when he rolled it, I will only drive a Ford!!! I'm finally at a point in my life where I want to get myself my dream truck. Being a married man and a dad I went through the typical emotional castration of trading in my beloved Mustang for an Edge, I'm still not sure how that happened but that was many years ago. Now it's time to get what I want. So at first I was torn, get myself a new F150 load it up and drive it till it dies. in reality though I have always wanted a Raptor. This is by far the baddest truck on the planet!! So I have decided to go this route. Budget won't allow me to buy it new so I'm thinking a 13 or 14. I really do love the infamous ruby red so I may have to look for a 14 but we will see. I do have a few questions for all you veteran Raptor owners. First off I had planned on getting an f150 putting a 6" lift on it 35" wheels and making it a bad ass truck. In perspective how different is the ride height of the Raptor in comparison to a lifted f150 and will 35's fit on the truck? As far as modifications has anyone successfully upgraded their Sync system with the new Sync 3 ford is offering? Ford claims the systems are the same size and will fit in place of the sync2 system but they don't offer a "plug and play" attachment. Has anyone successfully made this upgrade happen? Lastly I saw a document put out by Ford that the trucks were built up to Ca emissions standards. Of course as many of us Ca residents know shopping for truck out of state is a real pain in the ass. Has any Ca residents bought a Raptor from another state? Or if not can any of you look at your trucks and tell me if they are Ca emissions legal?

Thanks for any and all replies. I'm excited to find this dream truck and get rid of this edge I have been forced to drive for the last 7 years

Erik

ineedaBubble

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Trolling? Or do you mean lurking?

:lol:

I kid, I kid....on a serious note, good luck with your search and be sure to keep us posted on your progress!

jdruzik

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to the site... First off there will be no comparison between a lifted truck and the Raptor as far as the ride comfort is concerned. The Raptor is so smooth. The 2013 and 2014 Raptors are all California legal, but watch out for mods made on these trucks as they may not work for you, good luck. Enjoy the ride...

OP
OP
E

ErikB

Reaction score
Trolling? Or do you mean lurking?

:lol:

I kid, I kid....on a serious note, good luck with your search and be sure to keep us posted on your progress!

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Welcome to the site... First off there will be no comparison between a lifted truck and the Raptor as far as the ride comfort is concerned. The Raptor is so smooth. The 2013 and 2014 Raptors are all California legal, but watch out for mods made on these trucks as they may not work for you, good luck. Enjoy the ride...

Thanks for the info. Do you know if the trucks say they are Ca compatible under the hood? That way when I'm shopping I can look for it. I know most Ca cars do.

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

give auto trader a look and expand your search to 100 miles. welcome to FRF.

I have, I'm just concerned about getting a truck that isn't Ca emissions legal.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do not waste the money on a regular F150. Its apples and oranges...Raptor is the Bentley of trucks, IMO. Go and drive it you would be sold unconditionally. 2013 and 2014 are the best years of GEN1 production. For emission reason I would stay away from anything with aftermarket headers and high flow aftermarket cats.
You would spent a lot more for the Raptor than F150 that I can assure you but you know that already.
Best of luck and keep checking here on classifieds.

TornadoRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome to frf.
Good luck on the search for your next great ride.
My suggestion is when truck shopping, condition is everything. Limiting your search to one color limits your choices especially Ruby Red as it is probably pretty rare. Once you narrow done do hour VIN research. Ford dealers can also do a VIN check and if it has Ford service history, emissions etc . Also call a couple of your local Ford dealers ask for the used car manager tell him what you want and they may be able to help and call you back if they squire one. Local Ford dealer used search. Depending on your price range get the newest lowest mileage cleanest one you can find and take it to a trusted mechanic unless you know your way around trucks.
Good Luck. The search is so worth while and you will love it so much more than the Edge.

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Howdy and good luck on your search. Raptors already come with 35's and with some minor mods you can fit 37's. The ride is way better than a lifted F-150 and center of gravity much lower than truck with 6 inch lift so street manners are way better. Sit in one and you'll love the seats!

OP
OP
E

ErikB

Reaction score
Wow I didn't know the dealership would do all that for me. That's good information. Also to comment on the color options. Your right the ruby red is far and few between but I did find a few on Autotrader across the country. How limited is the Raptor in general. How many of each model year dose ford produce in relation to the other line up of trucks? Is it solely based on special orders? Are all raptors special order only? Or do they stop producing that year at a certain point?

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
GEN1 ran from 2010 where they came originally with 5.4l V8 and 6.2 as $3000 option half into the 2010 production. 2011 Screw was introduced 6.2 became standard engine. 2014 was last year production until now or 2017 new GEN2 Raptor has been released.
Ford would make 10k to 11k units per year. so yes you can say not mass produced and pretty exclusive.
Chances of a dealer going out of their way to find the Raptor for you are slim. Just hit the internet and look at what is out there within your radius.
Keep in mind trucks that have been driven on the street would need shock rebuilt at around 50k miles. ($1000 through the exchange program), tires would run about $1200. Best of luck
You are going to pay more through a dealer than private. You can always get a loan yourself through a credit union and save some $$$.